what brand video card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Origin

Baseband Member
hello, building my first p.c. and wanted to go with the ati radeon 9600 pro. i was looking at the 256 mb version but will there be a major difference between it and the 128 mb version. also what brand whould i look at? (saphire, power color, etc) kinda confused, because some of the sights show it one way and another site will show it another. if anyone has the time to maybe find the cheapest 9600 pro on a site that would be great if you just know of one. thaks for any replies.

i really just want a gamer/internet pc. i want the power to run games as low as diablo 2, cs, and quake 3 but i also want to be able to play some of the newer unreal tournaments and the new half life that is coming out. i just really want the power because i have been stuck on this crappy dell for too long.

Here is what you would need from the 2 big brands:

NVIDIA: FX 5600 256 Mo TV+DVI

ATI: 9600 PRO 256 Mo DDR

You said u didn't know between the 128 & the 256, well, seeing the little differance in price between them, i don't really see why you should hold back

There is no major differences right now between the 128 and 256 in the 9600 series. I think 256 on a 9600 is overkill.

I know you asked for "the cheapest" 9600 pro, but if you can afford it, you may want to go with an XT version. These are faster than the pro, and not very much more money.

Also, I would stick with Asus, ATI or Gigabyte. Sapphire is good too, but personally, I like the first three I listed.

ps. Some cards come with a Half Life 2 coupon, you may want to check that out.

Yeah, go for the ATI 9600 XT. It comes with a free half life 2 voucher. And if you don't care much for Half Life 2, sell the voucher on eBay for someone to use =]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom