Win xp, will it erase??

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I do B, isn't that illegal? I mean, it wouldn't work anyway b/c its already registered.

Just put the disk in the other comp and see if it works. So far I moved my Windows XP HD in 3 totally different systems without formatting once.

If I burn this to a CD, then use my dell xp key, would it work/be legal?

I know its sp1, I'm too lazy to post sp2 link

ok, do b.. they are not going to get u just because your running a win xp on a OEM product key.. they got millions of true pirate and they never delt with those ppl..

call them, they'll most likely say no.. so it's kinda pointless in my opinion..

i don't know wat other legal alternatives are.. but you can try searching :D

k dude listen all you need to do is to find a frekaing win xp cd since u have a "legal" cd key u can use it. that all ti shouldnt illegal u are no using the same key on 2 computer.

Quintox said:
a) Call up microsoft and tell them everything.
Not to quote Arnold, but..."DO IT! DO IT NOW!" Just explain the situation and keep a level head. One thing you'll definately want to do first is read the EULA for your OEM installation first. Chances are, since this is OEM, they probably won't honor it, but they will be able to point you in the right direction, and they sometimes have some very nice solutions for folks with OEM releases for DELL and such. You don't know until you try.

Quintox said:
b) Find a win xp CD and use the product key
I'm not going to ask what "find" entails, but all I can say is that if you "find" a legal WinXP CD, it will only be legal if it comes with a key and license. Even if you do, I doubt your OEM key will work for another CD, and even if that DID...I'd be concerned about it coming to bite me in the arse later on.

Quintox said:
c) Something else
Do I even want to know what "something else" might be? I don't think so.

Quintox said:
Dam xp! I dont wanna fork out 100 for xp
Hey, too bad, buddy. You got XP for practically nothing when you bought that DELL/whatever box. Those licenses are OEM and only intended for use with that system. That's how they can give the discounted price. If you shift off, you don't get that luxury anymore. Oh well.

I plan on first uninstalling all drivers fom the dell, especially the IDE, then put it in the new one. If that doesnt work, I'm calling microsoft.

Quintox said:
I plan on first uninstalling all drivers fom the dell, especially the IDE, then put it in the new one. If that doesnt work, I'm calling microsoft.
Look, removing the drivers from the drive for your current system ain't ever gonna completely work, and even if you do manage to get it to carry over, yer gonna have a strange mess on your hands because the drive will be the worst Frankenstien job since Gene Wilder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom