Need help with CD-RW

Status
Not open for further replies.

BurnerHelp

Solid State Member
Ok, here's the story:

My dad was burning a cd and it froze up. So to eject the cd, he stuck a paperclip into the little hole that manually opens the tray. Since he did that the cd drive no longer spins. Our computer still reads the cd-rw but it wont spin or play anything you put into the drive. We have tried removing it and reinstalling it, but to no effect. If anyone has heard of this before or has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

First and foremost, did the computer freeze up or did the burner just stop working?
See if the drivers for the drive are still intact through the Device Manager.
Does the drive open and close by the push of the button well?
This is an interesting defect...Considering this is new, your best bet would be to contact wherever you bought this computer from and get some support from them. Mostly all comp hardware is warrantied for at least 1 year after purchasing it. You should easily be able to get a replacement.

The computer froze up, it was a probably a buffer underrun, and yes the drive still opens when you press the button, it just doesnt spin anymore. Checked the drivers, and they are all still intact. Have no idea whats wrong with it, hopefully the warranty will cover it. Thanks for your replies.

Sounds pretty simple to me, you need a new burner, 2 things could of happened:

- The burner could of died before sticking, witch means the warrenty will come into work, or

- When you used a paper clip, you didn't press it in straight and broke the laser and support, witch means it is fucked, and you will have trouble makes the warrenty work

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom