Moving XP to my new comp

Status
Not open for further replies.

j4ckaL

Daemon Poster
I have an emachines T2875 with windows xp. I want to know if I can move this windows software to my new computer I'm building and if so, how?

You wont be able to move the hdd with your os on it unless the new pc is almost identical because of driver conflicts, etc. So just install your os fresh and you will be fine

but the emachines didn't come with an XP disk, XP was already installed on the machine when I got it. Is there some way I can burn XP onto a disk?

No. You can make an image but the other pc has to me almost the same, basically the mobo. You can give it a try but more than likely, it wont work, but you never know.

Well the PC I'm going to get is in my sig. I seriously doubt the mobos are at all alike but I don't really know. emachines use no name parts that are different than anything else out there so that you are forced to buy upgrades from them right? So they must be different.

I'm just trying to get around paying $100 for XP when I already have it.:(

You actually dont physically have it, its just on your pc till you reformat. Do you have a recovery cd?

heh, I've only just recently taken up an interest in computers. What exactly is a recovery disk?

They usually ship it to convert your os back to original state as when you got it. Say like if you have a virus and can delete it, or something is corrupt, just use the cd to recover your os.

I have the exact same question, in another thread.

Glad to see I'm not the only one wondering if it'll work.

As I see it, you can't do anything cept either contact microsoft and ask, or something else I forget.

Best bet is to see what microsoft has to say. If you do call them , plz tell me what they said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom