What is the most silent HDD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
you know what you should proabably do is.... forget about witch HDD you use... just replace every fan you have with a 120mm fan.

why do you need such a quiet hd? unless you are going fanless you can treally hear the hd.

you konw the most economical solution to your situation if you absolutly need it perfectly quiet is.... stick the computer i a different room and just get extention wires for you monitor KB and Mouse.

I have a 40gb Maxtor which in my opinion is silent how ever I also have a 160gb Western Digital which is reallly noisey

someone above said less RPM = quieter,

maxtor 7200rpm = silent
western digital 5400rpm = noisey

so i disagree sorry.

I think the noise of the hdd could depend on where it is located relative to the front of the case. My Silverstone Temjin 6 (full size) places them at the back under the power supply. So it's pretty long way back in the case.

I can barely hear my Seagate when it seeks as compared to my old Dell where they placed the hardrives right in the front underneath the optical drives. I think most mid-size cases have to place them at the front under the opticals because of lack of space. I guess the farther back they are, the less you will hear them.

A comment was made regarding fans being louder than the hardrives. If your running a water cooling rig, then you will obviously want a quiet hdd since that's really all you will be hearing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom