Baseband Member
Okay heres the question;

I have a motherboard which supports the following:

Socket A - 133Mhz FSB Max
AGP 4x
PC1600/PC2100 DDR RAM - up to 2gb
USB2 etc etc.....

Currently installed is:

AMD Athlon XP 2800+ - 333mhz fsb (currently running at 133mhz)
256mb RAM - PC2100
ATI Radeon 256mb 8x (currently running at 4x)

So my question is, i want to upgrade my RAM now by installing a 512mb stick, my plan is to remove the 256mb stick and replace it with the 512. I want to buy a Crucial 512mb PC3200 DDR400, (reason for this is I want to upgrade my motherboard at a later date) will this RAM be compatible with my system? or would I be best going for the Crosair 512mb PC2100 RAM?

Thanks for the help!

Yes. There should be no problem whatsoever. The PC3200 will underclock itself to PC2100. Then, when you upgrade, and put your PC3200 into a system that supports PC3200, it will run at its native speed.

Besides, PC3200 is easier to find and around the same price as slower stuff.

For more reassurance, I actually did this to a computer very similar to yours not long ago, without a single problem.

Just to say a huge thanks to you for your quick reply, really helped since I am planning on purchasing some RAM tonight! I will post back once it is installed to confirm that it does work!

Thanks once again!

By the way, circuit city has Kingston 512MB Ram for 18 dolalrs after mail in rebates. They are 3200 sticks too.

Because of the motherboard limitation you might as well run the 256MB module with the new one. The system will not run any faster then PC2100 266MHz anyhow. So if all the memory will run at 266MHz just install all of it.

Thanks for all the help, thanks for the idea about running the two memory modules together. Ive made my order for the crucial RAM I would have went for that 18 dollar Kingston if i had of lived in USA but as im in the UK i doubt that they will deliver that to me. Should be recievieng the memory on friday. Will see how it all goes! thanks again everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom