Random computer freezes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wouldn't the two processors use the same stock hs/fan since they are both based on the northwood core? 2.7 GHZ is not that far from 3.0 GHZ, and temperatures do not take l2 cache into account.

Also, did you diable the onboard audio yet? Try to run your games w/o the sound card and see if it actually is the sound card, or if it is the CPU.

There is a chance they could use the same stock hs/fan. I'm not too sure. I do know that an upgrade would most likely be a good idea.

I disabled the onboard video and I haven't had an issue yet. I played some games with it disabled and still no issue. So if it runs okay for the next week or so I would imagine that did the trick.

While we're on the topic of temperature, the computer running AIM and Mozilla is at about 53*C. Would you say this is normal?

I took the PC2100 for kicks just to see how it ran. It actually ran a degree or so hotter so I figure it would be best to keep it in there for now until I can come with the money for the other two 512 sticks Dual Channel.

I'm going to get a new hs/fan tonight and see how it runs when I put it on. If I can get it down a couple of degrees, I think things should be okay. I just think it's odd that it jumps 20 degrees when playing a game. I'm just not sure what the max temp would be and I am afraid to exceed it.

I just think that it's odd that

Looks like my last post got a little screwed up at the end there. Oh well.

I wanted to post again on another issue (kind of unrelated but could be indirectly related)

I got curious about the temperature of the CPU so I decided to fire up Far Cry on max settings and see what happens.

At first things were fine, played for about 5-10 mins and nothing happened. THEN, I got my message about the temperature getting to 70. It stayed at 70 and rose no higher than 72. I decided to remove the side of my case, and I placed a fan next to the computer to blow air onto the components. Results: The CPU temp dropped to a steady 63* C the rest of the time playing and the GPU stayed at 62* C (a little over half of the 120*C threshold)

Here is the question: How can I take that idea and make it into something more practical. I thought of cutting a nice hole in the case and mounting the fan to the side of it, but I'm looking for a way to not have to go into modding. If it comes down to it then I will, but does any one know of a way I don't need to resort to that. I just purchased a new hs/fan (copper heat sink) and some new thermal grease (Arctic Silver 5, I was reading how good it was) another case fan. I'm trying to find ways to setup three fans (it will be three once the new one is installed) and have a good airflow. I am getting a feeling that is what this computer needs.

But if anyone could let me know how I could get the same results of a fan blowing into the case, it would be appreciated. Thanks.

follow these instructions and look at the pics on the AS5 instructions site when applying the thermal paste. its pritty helpfull. linked bellow

http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

to test your cpu temps... use Prime95, it will stress the cpu using %100 of its cycles... this way you can easily tell beween idle tem and full load. just go to Torture Test under one of Primes tab bars at the top i forget witch. link to Prime95 bellow..

http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm

What program did you use to read CPU temp? some programs arnt acturate, and somtimes it reads off the rong sensor so you have to manually set it to read the proper temp snesor.

i have tested 3 CPUs so far... a xp3000+, a 2.8celeronD, and a 2.4 P4.

the XP and the Celeron... the temps only rose about 6c when fully loaded. about 38c to 45c
the 2.4 i couldnt get a reading, i dont think it could read the proper temp. it was at about 54 to 56c no matter what, loaded or not. even in bios.

the 2.8 and 2.4 pritty much had the same HSF, a coper core with aluminum fins.
--------------------------------------------------------

Were are all the fan holes currently located on your case?

for the xp3000 all i needed was 2 exaust fans on the back. no including the psu fan.

and the 2.8 only needed 1 exaust fan on the back. not including the PSU fan.

but i did put a side intake fan on both anyway.

Thanks for the links. I will try the tests once I get home (I'm at work right now)

I was using motherboard monitor, a free program I downloaded after doing a search for monitoring programs. I was thinking that it could be wrong when reading it. I had another program, don't remember the name, that was reading the same temps as the motherboard monitor so I do know they're reading from the same sensor. But again, whether or not these are correct is beyond me. But I will definitely try the tests and see what comes out.

There is a place for a fan in the back of the case and there is place for a fan in the front. The problem with the front fan is that it is under expansion bays and I don't think it's helping to much in air flow. Front fan at the moment sucks in air while the back fan blows it out.

How much would you suggest a side intake fan? I thought this could help as I could easily have it to blow on to the CPU to aid in cooling.

Now I am just waiting for my cooling supplies to arrive. Knowing NewEgg they'll be here tomorrow so hopefully by then I can determine whether or not I need to do modding.

Motherboard montior 5 is probablay the best if you MoBo is in its list of supported boards.

This is what i do with MBM5... go to the programs 'temp' settings, and pare each sensor with a Display # or item(you can rename it to whatever you wont).... you can also change the refresh rate of the displaed #s in the task bar if you wont, the default is 10seconds.... but i usualy use the high/low/average chart in one of the programs settings tabs, when testing.

Then, after each senors is bound so you can see there output... first find the one that is closest in readout temps to your BIOS temp readout when at Idel. (this might be the CPU temp sensor).... Then start up Prime95's Torture test and watch the sensores.... the one that gradually rises in temp should be the CPU.... Note- if there is a sensor thats abnormally low/high/or jumps all over, ignore it, because the sensore isnt connected or doest do anything.
-----------------------------------------------

if you have the proper tools you can cut a hole and stuff into anything and make it look proper and pritty... I have cut and drilled holes into casess even though i dont realy have the proper tools, but i wouldnt do it on a good looking or expensive case that way, because it doesnt come out looking professional... so if you gota crappy case, i would put a hole threw the side anyway and put a fan in... if you have the proper tools laying around i guess you can do whatever you wont.... but if you have an expensive case, and your like me without the proper tools, i would take an alternative route.

If you do decide to put a hole in the side pannel, dont put it exactly over the CPU's HSF.. this is what i did... i drilled it so the fan is placed right in the middle of the - CPU, Ram, and Northbridge HSF.... because as you may know there is a dead spot right in the middle were the fan is, and it blows in a outward circular motion farther away from the center. ( You mobo layout may not be similar, but you get the idea)

If you dont put a hole threw the side... you could always try... doubling up fans(put one fan on top of the other). or take out unused PCI slot covers underneath you GFX card and loosely stick a fan down there.(that would help remove heat from the GFX card)

or... i have seen on some cheap casess that iv got... the pre-made fan brackets somtimes only have small holes or slots as the fan grill, witch restrict a lot of air flow.(so i cut or drilled threw some to make the holes/slots larger, for better air flow)

I figured MBM 5 would work for the time being. It seems to track it well, although I have no idea how accurate the readings are, I would guess they are close enough.

I'm going to see how much of a cool down I get with a copper HS and a new HSF and with some added Arctic Silver 5. I'm hopeful. From what I've read (from just about everywhere) AS5 is the way to go. Hopefully I'll see a positive result from there. Then of course I will most likely get the extra cooling just for safety sake. And overall performance sake.

AmanteImperfett said:
I figured MBM 5 would work for the time being. It seems to track it well, although I have no idea how accurate the readings are, I would guess they are close enough.

I'm going to see how much of a cool down I get with a copper HS and a new HSF and with some added Arctic Silver 5. I'm hopeful. From what I've read (from just about everywhere) AS5 is the way to go. Hopefully I'll see a positive result from there. Then of course I will most likely get the extra cooling just for safety sake. And overall performance sake.

Iv used AS5 and it works fine. just remember it only works properly when applyed properly. use the instructions.

and remember to clean off all the old thermal material from the CPU, with rubing alcohol(isoproply, higher consentration the better). you can scrape it off with some kinda plastic object that wont damage anything, such as a credit card. then use use a cotton swab(since its lynt free) and alcohol and rub it realy good(more gray or black stuff will proll come off).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom