Just Built an AMD ~~ My Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elbatrop1

Memberbot
So, some of you might remember me asking for advice on a build a while ago. Well, I built what I was thinking of, and decided to give a review of the parts.

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice
-Nothing too fancy here. The only thing that is really noteworthy is the fact that it idles at 26-28 and 34ish in load. I used the stock HSF, but with Arctic Silver 5

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-K8NS-Ultra (NForce3 Ultra chipset)
-I am very pleased with this mobo. It worked right out of the box, with no BIOS flashing required. I had to do no troubleshooting on this system except for one thing: Upon startup, my CPU fan would start to spin and then stop. It turned out to be a "SMARTFAN" setting in BIOS that would turn off the CPU fan when it wasnt needed. Running without a CPU fan made me nervous, so I disabled SMARTFAN.
-The monitoring software that came bundled with the mobo has turned out to be accurate and stable and easy to use.

RAM: 2X512MB Generic PC3200
-I wasnt doing any OCing, so no fancy RAM required.

HD: Seagate 120GB 7200rpm SATA
-Seems to be responsive and quiet.

Optical: LG GSA-4160B DVD Burner
-I had this on my P4 before, but swapped it to this new build. Throughout my numerous posts, I have recommended LG burners a lot. Enough said.

Vid Card: Sapphire 9800 Pro 128MB
-Again, I had this on the P4 before. Nothing really to report here, except that it performs quite well, as you will see in the 3DMark03 score below.

Speakers: Logitech X-530
-I have wanted these speakers ever since I first saw them. Now I got a chance to get them. They work wonderfully! They sound crisp, clear and LOUD. Even at high volumes, they still sound clear. I highly recommend these to anyone looking for good, inexpensive ($80 CAD) 5.1 speakers.

That covers all of the really important parts. Everything else isnt that fancy at all.

My overall impression of this system is great. I really like the parts I chose and how well it performs in games, CD ripping, and Photoshopping.

Oh yeah, 3DMark03 score:5890

Hopefully this helps anyone looking to see what kind of performance to expect out of a system like mine:D

When I was building mine I purchased a heatsink, but when I got the unwieldy thing out of the box I decided that it would be easier for a first time builder like myself to just take the Arctic Silver 5 included and use the stock heatsink. I haven't been sorry yet.

AMD also reccomends other HS/Fans that they admit will perform better than their stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom