You can cal me stupid now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nukem

Where am I again?
Yes I said it right... I did something (Not thinking.. DUH!) that I knew in the back of my head something was shouting... "DUMBASS!!!!!"

I have an old foxconn mobo that has a P4 2.4 intel cpu on it... Well my dumb ass decided "Gee... let's put that 1.7 on it and use it for the kids computer!" now to be even more brain dead... I didn't check out to see if the cpu was compatible with the mobo...

Guess not...

So now what I was going to do is use a compatable cpu (a 2.4 celeron)
but now to no avail... won't even start up now... I tried the whole reseting the bios, removing the battery, even removed everythig form the case and re-seated it all... Nothing. Question is now... (tada...)

Can this thing be salvaged or is it dead? I haven't heard anything from foxconn yet about it, so I'm still waiting there, but I figured I'l ask the real people who know these things. :) I even tried to do a boot floppy, but it won't even light up, much less boot from it. Thanks for helping and I hope I could at least give you good laugh... :D

Craig

Well, since I called myself a dumbass, but then got called an idiot...

let's see.... the mobo itsn't dead... I had to use a jumper for using an older model CPU which by default is NOT jumpered... SO when foxconn got in touch with me they had me jumper the J9 and now it works... WITH the older cpu at that...

So now as per my original post, when I said I wanted to get the advice from real people that know what they are doing. I in turn had to get flame-sprayed by a complete and total amateur. thank you for making me get the info myself and save MYSELF some more money in a replacement mobo... have a nice day, and stop using my name!

Craig Newcomb (Nuke)

If all you did was put the wrong CPU in the slot, then it probably isn't dead. It just didn't work. As long as they're the same socket type.

Heyyo,

lol, such support you're getting in this thread there Nukem! :p

Yeah, them mobo jumpers are buggers. Especially the one that resets the cmos, if that one's not put back to its default state or taken out your comp won't start. Odds are your kid won't need more than a 1.7Ghz cpu, even if it's a crappy celery cpu too. If he's gaming? lol, throw on some good ol' Duke Nukem 3D, that should run smooth on that comp rig unless it has horrible issues. :)

Yeah, it's always good to read up on that mobo manual if you make a change, you never know if some stupid small error occurs.

ThE_MarD said:
lol, such support you're getting in this thread there Nukem! :p
He didn't ask for support, he asked to be called stupid. And we supplied in a prompt manner. :D

Shoobierat, your right... I did ask for it, but to be flamed... Naaa... anywho... history

And for the kid... He'll be doing some gaming, but nothing like ol' dad... civ2/3, age of empire, etc... but I am going to try the original half-life and see what it does... I've got an Nvidia fx-5500 in it, so under the lowest settings, etc.. I think it'll do fine... maybe when he gets a J O B he can get a confuser that he wants, but for the time being... he's stuck, but I think he'll like it:
generic atx case, Foxconn mobo, 1.7 P4 (socket 478), 1 gig ram,
20GB hd(in a removable slead, for when he acts up! lol), my old Aurocool CPU fan, a couple of the cool Blue LED fans (like dad's got) :), Cd burner/dvd rom. Thanks for the help... and yes... it got me stirred up enough to do it on my own and not wait... LOL

Craig

that computer is more then enough for HL1.

im currently on a 1.1celeron, 512mb pc133, pci geforce2. 5400rpm HDD, and it runs HL1 perfectly enough on low/medium settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom