Get a Raptor, or stick with twin 7200s...

Status
Not open for further replies.

exi

Baseband Member
I asked originally in another thread that went unanswered, but it's basically a hardware question anyway, so:

I've been itching to clean things up / reformat, but after reading so many rave reviews / first-person accounts on how great a 10,000rpm drive is, I was wondering if it's worth the $120. Somehow, I doubt it, but that's why I'm asking.

Current setup is two 160gb Maxtor SATA HDs, RAID 0 courtesy of Intel's ICH5 (and a third 80gb WD for backup only.) Would getting a 36.7gb Raptor be worth the money to have OS/Apps on that speed demon, and go from there? I get some awfully conflicting answers on that.

I dont think so. By having 2 drives in a hardware RADI0 config like that is plenty. I dont have any benchmarks to prove it, though :(

Also, another thing to give a slight boost in performance is to keep your page file on your backup drive, instead of your RAIDed drives (where, I assume, your OS is).

I dont know much about it but I've got 2 80gb's on RAID and they are each 7200rpm drives, so would that put me and 14400rpm or,,,, lol I'm not a huge fan of the whole RAID and Raptors, I dont know man... all I know is I was gonna get a raptor but my 2 raided 80gb's are running my gb's beautifully

Raptors really are not worth the money, and RAID 0 doesn't give that much of a performance boost either. The raptor would probably be faster, but you'd hardly notice.

Yeah, that was my next question.

I'm in the process of slipstreaming SP2 into the XP install, and even though I just downloaded the latest RAID drivers to include, I'm not sure if I should even do that. Two 7200 desktop drives ... I know the theoretical performance is there thanks to HD-Tach and common sense, but I don't know that it's even worth bothering with.

Of course, the added benefit is that this would be the chance to dual-boot with FC4, which is something I've been unable to do thanks to Anaconda not realizing the hard drive setup I have.

So, keep the volume or destroy it, leaving me with three individual HDDs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom