Memory Voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.

osubuckeyes

Baseband Member
I lowered my memory timings from 4-4-4-12 to 3-3-3-9, in 3:4 then overclocked my FSB a bit

I am now running 287Mhz acoording to CPU-Z
My windows environment and multitasking is stable, however, not having the greatest OC'ing ram, HL2 will crash after a bit.

If I up the voltage to my mem a bit, will it become more stable?

that would probably do it but however i would be very very careful and do it only a very little bit at a time. Dont tell me that that is as far as u could get that cpu either,or is it?

Put the ram and vcore onto the next voltage option.

Btw. You are creating a bottle neck having the memory at a lower bus speed to the CPU.

the mem is at a higher bus speed than the cpu
Cpu:RAM = 3:4

My voltage was set for auto, does anyone know what the base voltage would be

You need to run prime95, or in this case, specifically memtest to make sure your RAM is all right, you shouldn't just be assuming it is stable. Increasing the voltage may help rough out the edges a bit, but memory timings are a lot more crucial to memory stability. I don't know why they were so loose or why you tightened them, but you should go from tight to loose, and probably as high as 3v vDIMM, but since you say your RAM isn't very good, I'd say 2.85v tops.

DDR2 timings are naturally loose. Also, ALOT of ddr2 memory sticks can get past DDR2 600. Only the really really really crap ones cant. Finally, 2.85 volts for DDR2 is overkill. You will fry your ram.

Lol I just noticed that each line started with DDR2.

Ah, we're talking about DDR2 here, that's a bad on my part. Yeah, DDR2 uses lower voltages and I'd say 2.6v should be more than enough. I know DDR2 timings are loose (that's why I don't like em :p), I was more curious as to why his timings were loose, but then as he overclocked he tightened them...

Hmm, I think 2.6 will still fry the ram, as ddr2 uses 1.8 volts. I think you should pump it up to 2 volts max. Also remember osubuckeyes, p4s like bandwith more than timings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom