This gaming rig ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.
go with the san diego 3700+. its on a 90nm process, 2.2ghz, 1mb cache. it also runs cool and is one of the most overclockable processors.

I agree, the San Diego is held on the faster processors whereas the Venice is seen on the slower ones. You don't see any FX processors with a Venice core but a San Diego.

Newcastle is out of the question. Winchester is even newer than that.

For your PSU, I would go with the OCZ 520w Modstream for $105. If you're getting a 6800 GT, you will want extra power just to be safe. Spend the extra bucks for safety. I honestly just see no reason to save some $20 if you are at risk for stability and won't be able to get full potential out of your hardware (overclocking for example).

Antec is a reliable brand, but 430w just seems incredibly borderline for your system. You will be able to run things undoubtedly, but like caseyc said some while ago, under load things could be a different story.

I garauntee you that the 520w Modstream will run perfectly with no problems whatsoever (assuming the PSU is functioning properly). I run the 520w Powerstream which is an upgraded version to the Modstream, and it has saved my butt when I decided to do stupid things with boot.

You're basically going over budget to buy this more expensive modstream 520w to garauntee that you won't be buying your parts again and spending triple your budget.

Don't be that guy!

430 watt is definitly a little edgy for a 6800 GT, as the geforce 6 series is known to power hungry. Id go with the OCZ even if u arent overclocking to ensure the survival of your system. Literally.

Antec and OCZ are both top brands. If u are set against OCZ 4 sum reason, go with a larger antec

I bought a 370W power supply from enermax..

i found somewhere that a pentium 4 i think, with the ultra..(?) took up something like 280 or something... i dunno, but it wasnt near to 370..

Im pretty sure this 370 psu will do the trick..

I would then say that saying 430W is edgy for a 6800gt.. must be false.. ?

Not really sure, not into psu's.. but im pretty sure that it will cope nicely.

Xiahou said:
i found somewhere that a pentium 4 i think, with the ultra..(?) took up something like 280 or something... i dunno, but it wasnt near to 370.

Yeah, probably while the system was completely idle. Under load, if you have an insufficient power supply, your system will just fail to run, and you can risk damaging your hardware if you have a no-name brand.

430w is very borderline. It will definitely power the system, but there is no 100% garauntee that the system won't crap out when under heavy loads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom