250gb drive still showing up as 127gb after sp2 update on xp

Status
Not open for further replies.

dario03

Fully Optimized
I have a 250gb hd in my uncles computer and I put sp2 on it because I thought it had the update I needed for xp to see the full size but it still doesn't. Is there something else I'm suppose to do?

Basically I have the age old problem of xp not seeing my hd for its full size. Even after getting sp2. I've searched am I'm worried that maybe my board doesn't support it because its a socket A. Guessing I should try X-setup and see if that helps.

You have to go into the disk manager and format the rest of the space because as of right now XP just sees it as unformatted space. FOrmat it and XP will see it but youll have 2 drives. If you want 1 drive you have to get something like partition magic to combine the partitions.

So I can't use the full drive with just one letter (c: ) I have to split it, unless I use partition magic (which I've used in the past and it gave me problems)?
Whats up with that?

Who manufactures the 250 gig dirve? If it is a western digital drive you an use their priprietary software to get it to recognize the full drive size but you will have to run it as a slave initially. the bad news it that you will have to re-install XP. Partition magic might work but the drive has a set partition which was part of the install originally set up by xp. Addtionally, you can use a copy of 98se floppy boot disk to run fdisk and dos foamat the drive and then re-intialize with with a signle dos partition and have xp setup recognize the full dirve space. This has happened to me on more than on occasion. Once the partition size is set you are kinda stuck with removing the existing partition and then redefining it and then reinstalling windows xp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom