Win xp, will it erase??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, so if I do get one, I'm good for a fresh reinstall? (since I have the key, which is on top of the dell case)

Ok, that's good. I might be able to find one.

I do have one, but it's for dell only or something like that.

macdude425 said:
Dell doesn't tend to like you using their CDs on other PCs. I've tried to do it before, and went nowhere.

It depends on the board. I have used the dell CD on an intel board before and it worked no problem.

I don't think that will work. Dell uses a proprietary XP oem install CD and that CD only recognizes the Dell unit's prefab. I tried the same thing trying to use a Dell XP cd given to me from a friend and when I went to use an existing serial it "passed gas"!!! Nada! Even if you were succesful, you wouldn't be able to register the install with microsoft. You end up doing another install in 30 days anyway!!! Dell should change the first letter of it's name from D to H and then there would be truth in advertising at least!!! :0 :) :)

So, I am going to take a HD from my older dell to put in my new computer. Since win xp is on there, it wont work when i transfer it over to my new comp. I still have the windows xp product key, but no "boot cd".

Is there boot CD I could buy on ebay? All I need is the win xp CD, b/c I already have a win xp "CDkey" I could use. Does anyone know what I'm talking bout? If so, I'd greatly appreciate a link to something on ebay, I looked myself, dunno what to search for.

Basically, I need something LEGAL to get xp, b/c I have my old Dell's xp product key I could use, but no boot CD.

again, if your using the OS comes with dell, you have no hope at all of making it work on custom built PCs.. (that is, if you want to keep it legal :D)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom