installing XP from scratch (formatting after ignoring warning signs...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
no, it's a full ver. i'll probably just go 98, then xp. ijust thought there was an easier way... but i think i'm just making it worse! thanks =)

This doesn't make any sense. If it is a full version you sholdn't have the problems you are having unless you are trying to superimpose( (update XP) onto aonther OS. 1) use your windows 98 boot disk (floppy) and when it has loaded use Fdisk. Delete any partitions dos or non-dos. Then add a dos primary partition. 2) Go into your CMOS and make your first bootable drive the cdRom. XP instll will check out your system and take you to the format screen after you hit F8 to agree with the licensing parameters. Choose the NTFS format that isn't the Qucik format choice and it should be fine. Once the files are copied so that the system reboots, go back into the Cmos and select the Hard drive as the first bootable drive and let windows install complete. I do this routinely. Some of my other tech buddies think this is arduous but trust me, it never fails to work unless there are hardware conflicts. It is agonizing that Microsoft makes this so hard!!! Thanks Bill, for all your help!! :)

RicoDirenzo said:
[B Choose the NTFS format that isn't the Qucik format choice and it should be fine. [/B]

you can pick the quick format. all the other one do is add checkdisc to it. so if you know that the disc is fine, don't waste your time picking the non quick option

And you (vide supra) have just verified the need to follow my (inverted logic working here!)arduousness....the whole point of avoiding the "quick" format is to forego "crahses" that are the result of restarts due to sector errors on a hard drive. You won't know the drive is "good" until it is verifiable!!!! Then you can be assured that your HD is in good shape. There are alot of users that can't remember or have never been exposed to chkdsk!!!!! It's actually a good thang!!! Why is everyone in such a big hurry? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom