This gaming rig ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.
FYI, with my current setup (FX-53/2x6600GT/8xUSB devices/2xoptical devices) I had a 450W noname PSU included with my system. I realize this is not a similar system to yours, however the power requirements of my system were so close to 450W that the PSU should've done fine, considering I wasn't using all of my devices at the same time.

That being said, after loading up newer games, within 5-10 minutes the games would almost consistently crash with no blue screen or anything. I decided to give a new PSU a try and got the 520W OCZ Modstream.... Solved all of my problems and runs much cooler and much more stable than the no-name PSU.

As for the rest of the PC, it's just fine from what I saw. Just PLEASE try to buy a decent brand-name PSU with a reliable review behind it. Replacing a PSU is simple, however if something malfunctions in a PSU or something odd happens and the PSU burns out, any number of bad things could happen. Not saying that this only happens with no-name PSU's, just that it seems to be a lot more likely with them as compared to reputable companies that release them.

Like someone else said, don't let that person be you.

RacerX said:
This one has a 5 star rating with 192 revues... what more should I be looking for?
I don't know if I'd go on a review from newegg. Find a professional review somewhere and base your opinions on that.

Good idea, I just figured that if it was crap, there would be some terrible reviews and it wouldn't get 5 stars. Any review sites in particular you would recommend?

OK antec is not a noname processor. Your noname processor was probably crap. Also, Racerx, the processor I suggested is good, and will cost you less than the Antec.
Finally, get the 3800+ as it is better than the 3700+.

I didn't say Antec was no-name, I was just following up on a reply made by someone else about a PSU.

Antec is definitely a reliable brand, hell I would've gotten one had I not gotten the deal that I did, however changing PSU's to save a few bucks is a bad idea.

OK, thanks.

I have just 2 (I hope) more questions:

1. Will that PSU handle another HD and/or optical drive if I add them later?

2. Is the 3800 + Venice CPU worth the 40 more dollars than the San Diego 3700 + with the 1MB L2 cache? Will the difference be noticable for gaming/mapping?

1. yes, it should

2. No, you will not notice any difference at all. The difference is negligible. Id go with the San Diego

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom