Upgrading to Win2k error

Status
Not open for further replies.

akafiti

Beta member
I have a Win98 machine that I wanted to upgrade to Win2k. The first time i did it and told it to convert to ntfs, it errored out on me. I tried again and goes right to the blue win2k setup screen. Once it runs through some files it says it's checking the disks. then i get the following error

Windows setup has determined the drive c: is corrupted and can not continue setup.

What can cause this and how can i correct it? Any help would be appreciated. I am currently running scan disk on the pc. Also the pc has been getting a kernel.dll error lately too in case that matters.

Would I need to do a repair of the 98 install? I just hate having to reformat if possible

In my opinion, I would save whatever data I needed, then reformat and perform a fresh install of Win2k, then copy data back over. I don't think upgrading between any Microsoft product is very wise. If it can be avoided, then avoid it.

-Mike

hmmm.,...

If you have corrupted your kernel ,, format may be your only resolve..

You could try running the win98 cd again,, performing an install and maintaining all files,, that or use the startup disk and correct the corruption,,

or,,, FDISK and start fresh,, which by this point I would do to save on issues down the road,

Merry Xmas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom