new case, mobo I/O ports don't match rear panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

hunapu

Solid State Member
Upon the recommendation of members of this forum, I recently purchased an Antec case (SLK2650-BQE) into which I wanted to swap my mircoATX Gateway computer, in order to get a larger PSU to power my Radeon 9800 pro.

However, the I/O ports on my mobo are arranged differently from those on the rear panel of the case. What do I do (this is all new to me)?

Also, the jack on the mobo for 'front panel LEDS' is a ginle 8(?) pin port, whereas the case has different cables for power, HDD, I, and II. How do I plug these in?

Thanks

You need to use the one that came with the motherboard. Take it off of your old case, and put it in the new case.

Are those cables seperate, come apart? As they should be seperate and not one big connector.

The back of the old Gateway case is a single piece - no removable panel, though there seems to be a metal fabric sort of stuff behind. This is the back of the old case;

http://support.gateway.com/s/CASES/3501234/3501234rv.shtml

Also, it seems like the I/O panel on the back of the Antec case is riveted in (?) - how does one go about removing it?

The cables are seperate in the new case, but the old case has a single plug for everything. I'm suspecting that I can plug the power and HDD LEDs into certin pins, but don't know which ones.

This is the header for the front panel on my mobo;

http://support.gateway.com/s/MOTHERBD/Intel2/2519041/2519041mvr20.shtml

You cant swap a gateway OEM built mobo into an ATX case. It will most likey not fit the back panel.

But what you can do is, either:

1. Get a dremel, and cut the old back panel out and ghetto rig it to the new ATX case.

2. Or just install it into the computer without the back panel. It will look shady but it will work.

Also to take the standard back panel that is on the back of the new ATX case. Just push on it until one of those small rivets break, and just bend it back and forth until it comes off.

uh oh.... if this is true (and it seems to be the case, given the differences in the I/O mobo ports and case panel....

I need an alternative solution. I gotta get more power in there to handle my vid card upgrade (up to a Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb - don't have the dough for the nice stuff).

I've looked into new PSUs, but they seem to have the mounting screws in different places. This is the current 160w psu;

http://support.gateway.com/s/POWER/6500684/6500684rv.shtml

I haven't seen a single MicroATX PSU with the holes arranged like that.

Help! I want a computer that will run for more than 10 min. befor locking up....

On option 2 - haha, shady perhaps, but noone will see it anyway. Is that 'dangerous' in terms of making the computer more susceptible to damage or somethin?

Call technical support up at gateway, and tell them what you want to do. Ask them if they make a PSU that is stronger than 160watts.

hunapu said:
On option 2 - haha, shady perhaps, but noone will see it anyway. Is that 'dangerous' in terms of making the computer more susceptible to damage or somethin?

Well if for example a paperclip falls behind the computer and lodges itself between capicitors. Than yes it is dangerous for your internal components.

Hey what about making one out of card board?????? That will get the job done.

Sure enough, I pushed on that back panel a bit and it popped right out - no problem.

I'm fine with not having a panel back there for now, but can such panels be purchased? My Antec manual suggested contacting the manufactuerer, and Gateway passed me on to Intel, but I don't see any info about case panels on their site.

Finally, the mobo is screwed onto the mounting panel of the old case with screws requiring a funky six-pointed screwdriver - wtf? Is that somethin one can pick up somewhere in particular?

As usual, thanks to all for the advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom