Next generation of graphics cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heyyo,

Yeah, if you get a dell, you'd be better off trying to just get a 9600 Pro or a 9800 pro. :p

Seriously, dell is only good if you wanna use it to study for school. Don't expect it to be the gaming machine of your dreams. So yeah, I doupt the stock PSU that dell's have would support the x900 pro.. maybe not even the x850 series. They probably lack the wattage. Same goes for the 6800 series, they're wattage hogs too.

Custom built is the smartest way to get it done. If you can't? then go to a bud who knows it all n' just pay him like $50-$100 to help you put together a system and built it for ya. Hey, better to give a bud your money then a big money-craving corporation I say. :)

They do come with good warranty and tech-support.. but then again, you have these forums, which have smarter people than dell tech support I bet. ;)

If you do go for dell on these forums, and notice your comp's only half-decent for demanding gaming? oh you can expect the forums to say "I told you so." You have to tell your parents you want custom built. It's like buying a stock engine onna car, it's ok, it'll work fine, but a big block custom engine will haul some serious ass eh? Oh, here's one your parents will probably understand better (or at least your mom will). Why buy furniture at sears where it costs a lot, and only looks "ok" when you can go to ikea, buy high-class furniture cheaper and build it yourself? it's the same things for computers, custom is better.

haha, I bet if you used that, you'd get your parents attention. You gotta fight for your computer man, or dwell onnit until you get the chance to upgrade again.

Right..I have an alternative...

AMD Athlon 64 3800+ Socket939

MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum Socket939 ATX

1024MB PC3200 DDR RAM

Antec SX1040-B 400W ATX Case

Western Digital 80Gb 7200

256MB nVidia Geforce 6800Ultra PCI-Express Graphics with TV-Out and DVI

Is that better?

I noticed the CPU is only 2.4Ghz, is this a problem? Also I know the PSUs that come with cases are usually crap, but after blowing money on this I will have nothing left..do you think it would run fine?

Sw1tCh[FX] said:
yeah, but when their their around the same price, the 6800 can supply better visual quality. c'mon, nobody drops $300+ on a video card that won't play every current game maxed out. thats what you would do if you went the ATI route now, you would spend however much on an X850XT-PE and not be able to max out every game.

Sorry, but you have no idea what you're talking about. I've got a X800XT PE and i can play any game that you can mention at the HIGHEST resolutions and settings. With fluid FPS.

What card do you have Sw1tCh?

The 2.4GHz is NOT a problem, an AMD 3800+ has an operating frequency of 2.4GHz, but it compares to a 3.8GHz Intel P4. How much are u having to pay for that setup you listed?

With windows XP, keyboard, mouse etc along with shipping and assembly that will cost me £1,291.50 which is $2,269.95. However you need to remember in the UK we pay more for everything. The DELL would have cost me £1200.

If you check the prices at overclockers.co.uk:

AMD Athlon 64 3800+ Socket939 = 220

MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum Socket939 ATX = 80

1024MB PC3200 DDR RAM = 55

Antec SX1040-B 400W ATX Case = (Dont know, guessing 100)

Western Digital 80Gb 7200 = 35

256MB nVidia Geforce 6800Ultra PCI-Express Graphics with TV-Out and DVI = 300

That should cost you 790GBP + Taxes (VAT-17.5%) + Shipping ($50) = 978.25 pounds

Yeah I don't what to build it myself and they don't have some of those items in the PC builder section.

I also need a monitor :D So that was included in the price.

For £1,200.25 I can get:

Athlon 3800 64bit 939 Pin 512K Cache CPU Retail
K8N Neo4 Platinum Skt939 DDR PCI-E 16X ATX M/B
SX1040BII Black Server PC Case with 400 Watt PSU
Assembly/QC/Packaging for Aries PC System
Internal IDE Cable 40w/40w IDC 2 Drive
1GB PC3200 DDR 400MHz DIMM Memory
Caviar 40GB 8Mb Cache 7200RPM HDD OEM
Black CDRW/DVD Combi Drive 52x32x52x16x OEM
Black Bezel 3.5" Floppy Disk Drive 1.44MB
256MB nVidia Geforce 6800Ultra SLi PCI-E S-video
Black Multimedia PC Keyboard PS/2 with 17 Hotkeys