Socket 754 vs 939

Status
Not open for further replies.

RacerX

Baseband Member
Hi,

What are the benefits of going with the 939 socket for my build? Will it give me big improvements in gaming or mapping? Keep in mind, I'll probably be going with the 6800 gt and only have around $1,000 US total to spend on the entire system (dont need monitor, sound card, speakers, keyboard or mouse).

Thanks

Socket 939, most importantly, will give you the option of PCI-ex, which next generation video cards will use. In fact, NVidia and ATI have made it clear that they will release no more high end cards for the AGP platform. Other than that, performance differences between the two platforms are negligable. However, 939 will give you more room for upgrade in the future.

If you can afford to go with 939 (which isnt that much more $), then definitely do it.

With 939, you RAM can run in dual channel, which gives an overall system performance gain of 1% to 5%. Also, you have more CPUs available to you such as Venice-cored CPUs, and the FX53 and FX55 and FX57.

It is easier to get a skt 939 mobo that has PCI-E. I'm not sure if there are any 754 that uses PCI-E.

The number system takes dual channel into account. That is why a 3000 newcastle is 2.0 Ghz while a 3.0 Venice is 1.8 Ghz. Also there are PCI-E mobos for socket 754. The X200 chipset is one example of a chipset that gives native pci-e support for 754 mobos.

Heyyo,

S754 diddn't last very long. It'll be harder to find those cpu's in the near future. I belive they've stopped manufacturing cpus for it last year if not earlier. So yeah, s939 will be around for a year or 2. Definately worth the extra cash instead of having to buy another mobo on your next upgrade.

Plus, some mobo's have what's known as "agp-e" which's obviously a agp slot onna mobo that could do pci-e. I doupt you'll get somekindof preformance boost over norm agp, but if you wanna save cash and just get an agp vidcard until you can afford better? there ya go. But obviously, if you can, just go for a pci-e vidcard.

Hmm, onna budget like that eh? yeah, I'm pretty sure you could cram in the s939 mobo, an amd athlon64 cpu (make sure the cpu's s939, ya never know sometimes), 2x512mb of ram (gotta get at least pc3200, higher is good if you can afford it), and a 6600gt (evga is the favorite of the forums hea).

Now how bout the rest? do you need hd's too? there's some guys on here that can throw together some pretty good shopping lists. I'mmat school, so technically I probably shouldn't even be on this forum even though it's comp-related... so newegg n' such is definately off limits. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom