Win xp, will it erase??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quintox

Daemon Poster
Here's my situation:

I'm getting a bunch of computer parts for free, and I'm gonna build a comp with it.

I have another dell (4500s) and I'm planning on taking some of those parts out to use in the "new" one I will build.

If I take the HD from it, what will happen to XP? I want to keep XP, but will it erase, work, or what? I have the win cdkey or whatever, but like all prebuilt comps, it didnt come with the win xp cd.

Thanks in advance.

Oh, I found a win 95 install floppy, if that does/means anything. (lol, 95)

If you take the HDD out and install it on a new mobo, there is a 98% chance that it will not boot because of the wrong drivers associatted with the new mobo and the old mobo drivers.

The hard drive will have to be formatted no matter what,You just can't take it and pop it in and expect it to work right,Since you will have different part's you'll need different driver's and crap to run.

*EDIT* Warez beat me to it :)

Yes, what if I uninstalled all drivers and crap before I put it in the new one, would that work?

Would that work? I really hope, I don't wanna spend 100 on win xp. Is there anyway I can use the product key to use it on the new comp?

Could you explain what backup and reformat is? Well, I know what it is, but dunno how to do it.

Backup- move all important files and programs to a cd or dvd, burn them, then install them on the new pc.

Format- To wipe your harddrive clean. Removes all files and programs. Then install XP with the same key you have.

I don't really have any important files at all. Only some games.

How would I install XP with the same key if I dont have the bootup disk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom