Next generation of graphics cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heyyo,

I'd say go for the x850 XT PE. The newest cards aren't worth the pricetag. They're just so high priced for the rich folk who have no budget really. Kindof like videogames. HL2 was released at over $80 cad, now just after a month or so the price is down to $60 cad I think. Far Cry used to be $70 cad as well I think, now you can pick it up at staples for $12 cad. So yeah, with computers, the longer they've been out, the more acceptable the price tag. ;)

The only thing against the X850XT PE is that it lacks Shader Model 3 support, which will be needed to play games like STALKER and "The Lost Coast" for HL2. I would not suggest the X850XT PE because of this fact...you will regret it if you do. Look at the difference it makes in Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory! Get the 6800 Ultra.

beedubaya said:
The only thing against the X850XT PE is that it lacks Shader Model 3 support, which will be needed to play games like STALKER and "The Lost Coast" for HL2. I would not suggest the X850XT PE because of this fact...you will regret it if you do. Look at the difference it makes in Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory! Get the 6800 Ultra.

um... PS3 is not "NEEDED" to play, stalker and lost coast on a X800XT PE or X850XT PE. Don't make it sound like a requirement.
Value has specifically stated that it will run on X800 series with out pixel shader 3. http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/2005/06/14/hl2_hdr_overview/4.html

***BUT - with an nVIDIA 6800 series with pixel shader 3 you will see minor yet "better" visual eye candy. But, it's minor...

Is the 256MB nVidia GeForce 6800 the same as the 6800 Ultra? I'm really not that bothered with minute detail, I would simply want the best all-round card.

The problem is I can only choose between the X850 XT PE or 256MB nVidia GeForce 6800.

The PC that I am replacing is on an old 32mb Nvidia Riva TNT2 model 64...So any Gfx card would be a huge improvement.

My main problem is i HAVE to buy the PC from DELL...So unless they are going to stock new cards available for their Dimensions the two choices I have are above.

yeah, but when their their around the same price, the 6800 can supply better visual quality. c'mon, nobody drops $300+ on a video card that won't play every current game maxed out. thats what you would do if you went the ATI route now, you would spend however much on an X850XT-PE and not be able to max out every game.

There is a big difference between the 6800 and the 6800Ultra/GT. The 6800 vanilla only has 12 pipes, where as the 6800ultra/gt and the x850xtpe all have 16 pipes. And yes, I do think it would be wise to wait for the x900.

I have to get a DELL because unfortunately that is the only company my parents want to buy from (Although I contributing about $1000 towards the system).

Do you know how often DELL change the graphics cards that are available to get with their systems? I am looking to purchase the PC around september some time.

Currently the only options that I have are either the X850 XT PE or the standard 6800.

Tell your parrents to have a look on these forums, Dell sucks. They use cheap parts, they are way overpriced, and if you ever decide to get more memory you will discover that it dosn't fit in the computer because they force you to buy the memory from them, and then they overcharge you for it because they can. They also use special power supplies, so if you ever want to get a better one, you have to get it from them, and of course, it will be a very cheap one and very over priced. I am pretty sure they also use a special motherboard, so, you guessed it. You would have to buy it from them and it will be over priced. Basicly, if you want to upgrade, and dell does not carry the upgrade you want, your SOL. Give me the specs of the dell PC you are looking at, and the final price, and I will build you a PC of the same or even better specs for much cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom