What Wattage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crossfire (ATI's SLI) will let u link unidentical cards together, but SLI, u can only use identical ones

diabloII said:
Um i hope you're kidding...

1.) watts doesn't matter on a PSU, the brand and A@12V matters
2.) go for a 520W OCZ powerstream, or if you got more dough, the 600W OCZ powerstream
3.) how the hell can you have a 6600GT and 6800GT in SLi????

Watts do matter, as a quality 400 watt power supply will not have enough to power that setup. Please take everything into account. I was not suggesting a crap power supply like rosewill.

By the way, these power supplies are reccomended.

"PC Power & Cooling (PC P&C): 1% Regulation, Adjustable Rails & 5yr warranty.
OCZ PowerStreams: 1% - 2% Regulation, Adjustable Rails & 5yr warranty.

Antec (except Smart Power) & Zippy: Tight Regulation & 3yr warranty.

Hiper, OCZ ModStreams, Seasonic: 3yr warranty.

Antec (Smart Power), Cooler Master, Enermax, Fortron,
Sparkle, Tagan, Vantec & XClio: Known Good Quality often at Low Prices."

All of the above are very good PSU's & are recommended.

Silverstone power supplies are also extremley good (but a bit expensive).

Sweet! Good plan! I am trying to cut as much money off the end total as possible so do you think that a OCZ PowerStream 520W would do okay? My maximum budget is £1500 so I can get my friend to get the CPU for a meager £300 and a BFG 7800GTX for £350ish. I'm not worried too much about the Motherboard price and he said he can get alot off memory. I was thinking about getting 2x 256MB of Geil DDR2 ram (http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/GeIL_DDR2.html) rather than 2x 512Mb of Corsair XMS3200C2 (http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Corsair_XMS.html) What do you guys think?

The only PSUs i would use on my comp are Antecs, thermaltakes, OCZs, PCP&Cs, and Ennermaxs. Im not doubting that Silverstone is bad, i just have no experience with them nor do i know anyone who does.

IMO, anything other than brands i just listed is horrible

Get a gig of RAM. Also, thats DDR2 u selected, which is only compatible with Intel mobos. If i were you, I would go for twinMOS, or OCZ Platinum Rev 2s

Other than the DFI Lanparty, what would you say is the best Socket 939, SLi complient motherboard around with? I have heard that MSI K8Ns are pretty good and THG tested the AMD Thlon 64 X2 4800+ on a Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-SLI.

I just thought of something to add, you NEED a 24pin PSU. Don't use an adapter. OCZ PSU's are 24pin.

When it comes to SLI I really recomend DFI, as they are great boards, very stable, and if you wanted to, overclock extremly well.

Stay with a main manufacturer with the motherboards, and that excludes ASUS.

The good SLI boards are all equally expensive or more expensive than the DFI one, so may be worth getting it somewhere else and pay the VAT on it.

I don't really like Abit, as I have had a bad experience with my AV8. But would still consider the Abit AN8 SLi for myself if I found out it was good. (go to Abit forums, someone there must have one.) I would still get the DFI though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom