What am I suppose to do about the grounds and front usb?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dario03

Fully Optimized
Have a case with two 4 pin grounds but nowhere to put them. Should I just take them out or what?
Also there are two front usb ports but no connections from the case for the board. What am I suppose to do?

Heyyo,

Now these grounds, are they kindof like small jumpers? little black boxes? if so, check the labels, they might hint to where ya plug them into your mobo. Check your mobo manual to see the jumper configurations for your little jumpers. Same goes for the front usb connectors.

The front usb ports should have some little jumpers you plug into the motherboard, mine were stuck in the faceplate, so I had to unscrew it to get them out, you might have to do the same. If they are, mobo manual, read the proper setup to plug them in, failiure to do so can fry ipods (hehe, I nearly did at the last crlan).

it sound like your 2 problems have 1 solution...

the 2 4pin grounds are proabably not grounds... the internal USB ports use 4pin connectors. so your 2 4pin connectors are probably for the 2 front pannel USB ports. thy might of just used all black wire for some cheap reason reather then the propper collored wires.

the internal usb pins on the Motherboard are located in pairs, in a rectangle box(perhaps green or yellow or black). witch contains a set of 2rows of 10pins, it looks like 1 pin is missing(so 9pins).

use your motherboard manual to differentiate the propwer power and ground pins, then figure out witch of the wires on the case 4pin connector is gournd(perhaps theres a marking on the pin or wire). then connect them to the internal usb port.

EDIT: i just remembered, on all the case connection terminals, such as USB, HDD LED, RESET Button, etc. there is a tiny arrow on 1 pin, indicating +power (i think) i dont remember exactly but i think thats right.

jolancer said:
it sound like your 2 problems have 1 solution...

the 2 4pin grounds are proabably not grounds... the internal USB ports use 4pin connectors. so your 2 4pin connectors are probably for the 2 front pannel USB ports. thy might of just used all black wire for some cheap reason reather then the propper collored wires.

the internal usb pins on the Motherboard are located in pairs, in a rectangle box(perhaps green or yellow or black). witch contains a set of 2rows of 10pins, it looks like 1 pin is missing(so 9pins).

use your motherboard manual to differentiate the propwer power and ground pins, then figure out witch of the wires on the case 4pin connector is gournd(perhaps theres a marking on the pin or wire). then connect them to the internal usb port.

EDIT: i just remembered, on all the case connection terminals, such as USB, HDD LED, RESET Button, etc. there is a tiny arrow on 1 pin, indicating +power (i think) i dont remember exactly but i think thats right.

LOL, I thought the same thing but no such luck. They are grounds, even says on them though the wires are not all black. I plugged them in and when I turned the computer on a bunch of white smoke came on. I thought I fried the board even had a post on here flpping out trying to figure out what to do.

dario03 said:
LOL, I thought the same thing but no such luck. They are grounds, even says on them though the wires are not all black. I plugged them in and when I turned the computer on a bunch of white smoke came on. I thought I fried the board even had a post on here flpping out trying to figure out what to do.
What? why would a case have 8 useless ground wires attached to the case?

is there special stuff on your case that the wires connect to? you should prolly post a pic.

I don't know, the computer runs fine without them. They only have 4 pins not 9 so I guess they are not the usb. Plus the whole smokeing thing reinforces that. They have 4 pins and the diagram in my mobo manual only shows spots for 2 pin grounds. Its a cheap Foxconn case and their website doesn't even show it. Maybe I'll just call tommorow but I don't think that will get me very far.

Ya know, maybe I just plugged the ground wires into the usb ports backwards and they are the usb connectors because my other case has a 4 pin connector with the same colared wires going into it and it does say usb and only says ground next to the black wire.

This is my first build so a stupid mistake like that could be
possible.

But why is the usb headers on the mobo 9 pin and the connector from the case only 4?

Suggestions?

yes there are 9pins, but the one by iteself off the to side is unused, just ignore it. im too lazy to find a mobo book and c, but i think i remember that 9th pin being called 'key'. dont know why its there but just ignore it.

use your mobo book it tells you witch pins are ground. you could of pluged them in backwards, use the book first next time. iv never pluged them in backward so i dont know if that would cause smoking.

I'll have to check the book again, I actually didn't see anything on it last time. Though that was probably just my mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom