A few questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedUK

In Runtime
Hi! I'm looking into buying a new PC and I have a few questions.

Firstly is PC-3200 or PC-4200 better?

Secondly i'm planning on getting the 256MB ATI Radeon X850 XT PE, if I got this graphics card how long do you think it would be before it would not be able to run new games comming out.

Also do you have any idea what PSU's DELL use?

I'm planning on getting:

Pentium 4 531- 3.0 GHz
1 gig of either PC-3200 or PC-4200 RAM
160GB (7200rpm) Serial ATA Hard Drive with 8MB DataBurst
48X DVD/CDRW Combo Drive
17" UltraSharpTM Flat Panel Monitor with Height Adjustable Stand
256MB ATI Radeon X850 XT PE

Any good?

Thanks!

1: PC4200 is better.
2: 3-5 years at least (don't forget you can over-clock this in the future; if needed).
3: Not a clue!
4: Sounds pretty good! Although, I swear by CRT monitors (as do other people on this forum), but if it's necessary to gain extra working-space by purchasing a flat-screen TFT, then I s'pose it's okay.

TMT. :cool:

Oh, and another point. Although that set-up is a pretty solid set-up, remember to get a really good chip-set on your motherboard. This is a vital key part in a good, stable system. Plus, I'd suggest looking at some AMD processors (more-so the 64bit range) if you're bang into gaming.

TMT. :cool:

The problem is I have to buy my PC from DELL and they only do flat panel monitors and Intel CPUs. I also have no idea what motherboards DELL use...

I'd get the 6800 GT or Ultra in this generation of cards. they has PS 3.0 and better OpenGL performance.
or, if you can afford it, get the 7800 GTX. that is currently the best card out

I phoned dell about the PSU and all I could make out was the fact that it was something like 30-60Hz... I really want to know what the voltage is on the 12v rail...I know I have an Enermax noisetaker kicking around here somewhere..but I think I lost it :(...That had two 12v rails...

I asked what motherboard they used and they started talking about CPUs... :confused:

It's so hard when your talking to someone that doesn't really understand the English language and is talking about 100mph about facts and figures totally unrelated to the thing you asked in the first place.

I just hope when I get the machine it's not bottlenecked due to a crap power supply or motherboard.

If your planning on getting a dell, check out slick deals.com. They have awesome dell coupons. Just do a search for dell and click on a coupon link. It will save you LOTS of money. I recently configured a 3.0 GHZ 6XX P4 with a 6800 video card for 1100 bucks. Ow ya, it had a 20 inch FW too, which retails for 500 dollars. Pretty good deal if you ask me. ALMOST matches the price of building it yourself. By the way, if you know how to upgrade your own parts, then you can buy a base machine with the monitor for 650 dollars after mail in rebates, and add in a 6800GT,DVD rewriable drive, and 160 GB hard drive for only 400 dollars more. Heck, you can even buy a pc power dell power supply for 100 dollars if you aren't sure about the power supply, and have it totaled out to be 1250 for a pretty half decent gaming machine with an awesome monitor!(free OS also heh)

Is it possible to get coupons for UK DELL PCs?

I'm looking to get money off a DELL dimension 9100...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom