Do I need an Anti-Virus if...

Status
Not open for further replies.

beedubaya

Golden Master
If I install a firewall and an anti-spyware, do I really need an anti-virus? I NEVER see my AV program catch anything, its always my anti-spyware.

It kinda depends on how you use the internet. If you pirate software (which isnt the cool thing to do, kids), then AV is vital. Also, hacker sites and pr0n sites seem to pick up viruses as well.

If you use the internet for browsing, email, and other legal activities that involve popular and professional websites, etc, then, AV probably isnt that necessary.

I would still use one no matter what. Besides, with a computer like yours, you probably wont really notice a difference in performance anyways.

If system resources is your concern, most AV have the option to not have it constantly running as a process, but scans on demand, and updates on demand.

well if want to be protected from Viruses then yeh. Spyware only picks up spyware thats it. do you run email on that PC? do other people use email or use that PC? Its a good Idea, if you dont want to buy an AV then use AVG or a free edition. You never know what you might catch. If your Anti Spyware misses on file, that might create a backdoor to your PC, ending up leting viruses in.

I would recommend one, pretty much for that sense of security and "just in-case" factor. Besides, it may not pick up anything now, but if you go without any AV at all, how would you know if it did?

YES YOU DO. In a event of another outbreak such as Sasser, Spybot, Adaware, etc will not protect you.

you don't only get it from p2p sites (if your skilled, you won't get any from p2p sites..).. one of the major source of virus i found out is from e-mail.. especially if you have alot of contacts who knows next to nothing about computer.. they are easiest to break in and send e-mail containing virus to all their contacts.. and don't trust hotmail or any other mail scanners, those turn up false positives left right and center.. often i have to make them check 3 times before they admit defeat (one of the reason i switched to gmail)

i believe a firewall is better than AV (though they are both very very important to get espcially on a windows desktop.. on *nix, not that important)..

Yeah keep your AntiVirus. I always pick up like javascript viruses and nasty jar files off the web. My A/V picks them up before they do damage. But yeah keep your A/V.

If you use a computer you NEED ALL OF THESE. Anti-Virus, Anti-Spyware, Firewall as a minimum. I do not suggest you use the free stuff like spybot either. I'd suggest Spysweeper, Zone Alarm Pro, Sygate 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom