Different type of amd

Status
Not open for further replies.

babyblue10

Baseband Member
Hello there, basically i intend to build my own gaming computer myself. Since amd is the most recommended processor by most people for gaming, i decide to use it. However while browsing for it, i discover that there too many type of amd out there :( Can anyone just tell me what the different between those processor? (athlon, sempron, xp)

Seeing as how 64-Bit os's are makin their step onto the market and will be the future, stick with a 64-Bit CPU. They usually cost a little more but they are well worth it. The socket 939 CPU 3000+ Venice would be a good budget buy, the 3700+ San Diego is a good medium but and the FX-57 is a good expensive buy. Cant we get some details on your budget?

there are:
Athlon's (the first ones)
Athlon XP's
Athlon MP's (for servers, based on Athlon XP's)
Athlon 64's
Opterons (for servers, similar to Athlon 64's)
and Athlon X2's (dual core athlon 64's)

Athlon XP's are the last generation, anything below about a 2500+ and it'd be considered out of date. the current generation are socket 939 Athlon 64's and now Athlon X2's. the Athlon 64's go up to 4200+, or the FX-57. the X2's go from 4200+ to 4800+ and are pretty expensive ATM

i guess it should briefly help me a bit knowing some amd processor. Anyway, Gameguru i don had any budget limit. However please don suggest too costly processor :/. All i wanted is that proccesor can last me for around 3-4 years.

babyblue10 said:
i guess it should briefly help me a bit knowing some amd processor. Anyway, Gameguru i don had any budget limit. However please don suggest too costly processor :/. All i wanted is that proccesor can last me for around 3-4 years.

In that case, I would suggest the AMD 64 Socket 939 3200+.

apokalipse said:

Athlon XP's are the last generation, anything below about a 2500+ and it'd be considered out of date.

LOL. I just got an xp 2000+. It was free though. I'm gonna OC it to 1.9, and later buy a 2800+.

:eek:

I have a 64 2800+. I'm gonna upgrade to a 3200+ Venice. Perhaps, 64 3700+ depending on my budget at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom