Help at buying new computer, please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuskatappaja

In Runtime
I need some recommendations for good single Opteron hardware.

I want to use ECC memory, 1GB would be enough.

I think 1.8Ghz Opteron is fast enough, does 2xx series work in single processor mode?

I would be thankfull if you could throw in a list of what kind motherboard, processor, memory and perhaps powersupply is required.

I require some things from motherboard:
Serial ATA Raid, USB 2.0 (2 ports are enough)
3x PCI 32bit slot
AGP 8x Slot
Support for Zalman CNPS7000 Kühler would be great.
And ATI graphics card with Zalman VGA cooler would be nice to fit the board.
You could recommend some other great coolers you know which would fit.

I have about $1000 budget and Im planning to use my existing case and graphic card and perhaps my powersupply
(550w ATX12v)

Actually I want to build a high end desktop and workstation.:p
Opteron is cheaper than Athlon FX and I would imagine its more powerfull than Athlon 64 with same speed.
And ECC memory would add great stability, not many 939 boards offer ECC support.

Is it justifiable to buy opteron for common use, I do gaming only very little, surf a lot in internet and use word processing and such.
I do some 3D modeling also and want to use my existing AGP 8x card.

Umm I think the reason they use ECC memory is because it is more reliable for long term use. Those servers are up all day every week, so they don't want the memory to be crappy. Regular memory and a regular setup will be fine if your not leaving your computer on all day doing number crunching.

Are you sure thats a memory problem? Maybe you overclocked it a little too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom