SATA vs ATA

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I have 2 partitions on my HD, can I configure it in Raid? :p Just kidding guys!

About S-ATA, I've been told (I'm not a techno-hardcore-computer-junkie, so I don't know if it's a true information) to wait for S-ATA2 (next spring/summer). Apparently, it will have some fixed "bugs" and improvements from S-ATA. Then again, I don't know about the veracity of this statement, but if somebody has more infos about this S-ATA2 thingie...

spfd said:
2 hard drives.
instead of having C and D
you just Got C:
I heard it runs faster or somethin like that =p

not only does it run faster, but if 1 HDD goes down, you dont lose everything, its backed up on a 2nd HDD and you can still boot

and to answer your question RAID is short for Redundant Array of Independent (or Inexpensive) Disks, a category of disk drives that employ two or more drives in combination for fault tolerance and performance. RAID disk drives are used frequently on servers but aren't generally necessary for personal computers.
There are number of different RAID levels. The three most common are 0, 3, and 5:

Level 0: Provides data striping (spreading out blocks of each file across multiple disks) but no redundancy. This improves performance but does not deliver fault tolerance.
Level 1: Provides disk mirroring.
Level 3: Same as Level 0, but also reserves one dedicated disk for error correction data. It provides good performance and some level of fault tolerance.
Level 5: Provides data striping at the byte level and also stripe error correction information. This results in excellent performance and good fault tolerance.

There are different ways to set up RAIDS.

1. As described above.
2. Everything that is saved to the first hard drive is automatically backed up to the second hard drive.
3. I forgot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom