LCD Monitors for Gaming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chipa66

Baseband Member
I posted this in the PC Games Forum but I wanted to make sure it got a wider audience so I'm also placing it here.

My old 19" CRT monitor is showing its age and I'm considering my options for new monitors. I've read several articles at http://www4.tomshardware.com/display/index.html that are giving some decent reviews of some of the 17" LCDs out there. My primary use for this montior would be gaming but I'm concerned about some reports of "ghosting" and "trailers" on some LCD screens when playing some of the faster paced titles on the market. I'm perfectly willing to buy another CRT monitor if that is my best choice because space is not really an issue although I'm sure I would appreciate the slim profile of the LCD when I actually got it home. One of the things that most interests me about the LCD screens is the lower emissions associated with them. Seeing as how I'll likely spend a lot of my leisure time in front of a computer screen, every little bit of radiation that I can eliminate will probably help in the long run. Also, could someone comment on the effects of using one of these monitors equipped with a DVI connection as opposed to the typical VGA connection? My video card is equipped for both.

I'd like to hear from some of you guys that are currently using LCD screens and get your opinions on the subject.

I use two Dell 1800FP and love them. I play all kind of games, watch movies, and work in text files all the time. I would say spend a bit of money (+300) get a good one, and never look back. The DVI connection is good, but either works fine for anything you are going to do. I have never seen a difference between the two. Since, one is running though a KVM switch (Keyboard, video, mouse) and the other is directly connected to the DVI video port, I would notice. One thing you really want to look for is the Contrast ratio. The higher the better. Low contrast monitors tend to look "ghosty" and have a poorer refresh rate. At least that is my experience with them...
hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom