DVD Rom Drive Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisgill369

In Runtime
I installed a Samsung DVD Rom drive today but it doesn't seem to be working. I've tried DVD Rom games and DVD films but it wont load them up and ive tried accessing from 'My Computer' but it just crashes my computer.

Ive got one IDE cable connecting my cd-rom and my dvd-rom. The cd-rom has the master end of the cable in it and the dvd rom has the slave part of the cable in it. The both drives has a molex connector in them too.

Is there something ive missed out?

Well ive looked in the bios and it has detected both but it says the dvd is the master and the cd is the slave and my cables are set up to the opposite of that. How can i change it around without swapping the cables around as the cables are nice and tidy at the moment :)

Ive changed the jumpers but the opposite to what you said. The cd has the master jumper and cable end and the dvd has the slave jumper and cable end (the middle bit). Still got the same problem, it wont recognise the dvd in the drive and explorer.exe will stop responing for a while. Ive left it and its now responding again but both optical drives have dissapeared from 'my computer' :confused:

edit: just been into the bios again and they are the right way around now. The cd is the master and the dvd is the slave. When i look at the details for the dvd is says

Devie: ATAPI CD-ROM

Looks like its detecting it as a cdrom and not a dvd rom :confused:

haha sorry yeah got those backwards, what brand and model is the dvd rom drive. I've heard that some drives have firmware that can be updated, if its an older drive maybe it needs an update. And did you try cable select?

Hm. I thought it would be a detection issue. So for now, I'm going with connections, could be a bad wire. From what you're saying it might not be but it's a hand in hand guess to you're problem.

upallnighter said:
haha sorry yeah got those backwards, what brand and model is the dvd rom drive. I've heard that some drives have firmware that can be updated, if its an older drive maybe it needs an update. And did you try cable select?

Its a Samsung DVD rom drive. Not sure about the model but its this one
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=82627
(ps - it doesnt look that bad in real life ;) )

And what is cable select all about?

Hm. I thought it would be a detection issue. So for now, I'm going with connections, could be a bad wire. From what you're saying it might not be but it's a hand in hand guess to you're problem.
I will check that the connections are all right and i will also try the dvd rom drive on its own and see if that sorts the problem.

Well its going back because its obviously not working how it should. But in the meantime, would it be possible to install battlefield 2 onto my computer from another computer on my network? If i temporarily share my hard drive, when installing battlefield 2 will i be able to select my hard drive as the directory?

nitestick said:
i dont know, in theory you should be able to do it somehow but im not a pc gamer. cable select simply sets your drives as master and slave according to their position on the cable. i would suggest you use your dvd drive as the master.

Still no worky :(

Anyone else know about installing games over a network?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom