HardDrive clicking??? Quick TIP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

vakabiel

Baseband Member
If you find that your hard drive is making that annoying click sound they all do when they are about to die... and you need to get the data off here is a trick.

Put the drive in something to protect it like a static bag, and then put it in the freezer for a little bit.

The cold will cause the metal to contract and it will pull the plates inside the drive away from the arm that is making contact with them. You should have enough time to get your information off.

This usually works with drives that won't boot because of this.

Cheers!

lol hey I've never heard that, I like that..... unfortunatly my last drive died because the motor slowly gave out..... Good tip though.

Holy crap, I had no idea. When I built this PC I had old HD's from an old PC and when I booted them up they started clicking and crap. So I was like STFU Computer Stop Clicking at me and then I put in the XP install and once it formatted and restarted it stopped clicking. Thank god I did it in time. Thanks for the info man.

My Hitachi clicks at me but thats just because it is a crappy drive(only a 2mb buffer) and its been doing it ever since i got it and I've had it for over a year now so i dont think its about to die . I'll keep this in mind though is my WD ever starts clicking thanks.

My laptop's hard drive started clicking and I tried to do that twice and both times it didn't work except the second time it didnt start spinning right away but it turns out I needed to get a new hard drive from dell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom