Windows XP Pro Will Not Install Properly/"System" Corrupt or Missing

Status
Not open for further replies.

kkttt87

Baseband Member
Hey guys, here's my problem:

We had a fuse blow and when I went to flip the breaker switch, the power to my HP Pavillion 753n was cut off because the switches weren't properly labeled, thus frying the MoBo. I purchased a new one, got it installed a-okay and the compy came back on, good as new, none the worse for wear. UNTIL, I go to install the drivers and such for the new MoBo. I do this and reboot. Upon rebooting, it goes through the normal stuff, but when it tried to start the OS (XP Pro), "C:\Windows\system32\config\system" is "corrupt or missing". I use my boot disks to go into repair mode, rename "system" to "system.bad" and then copy "system" from "C:\Windows\repair" to replace the (apparently) bad system file. This done, I reboot again and it gets to Windows, but Windows Explorer will not stay running and I get a window saying Windows cannot verify licensing and will have to shut down. Okay, I'm gonna lose all my files, but I use the floppies again, go into Windows install, completely wipe the HD by deleting the partition and creating a new one, formatting to NTFS and then reinstalling Windows XP Pro on it. The first time the whole setup goes by smoothly, but getting to the desktop (finally), again Windows Explorer won't stay running and so I boot, completely wipe and reinstall. This time it makes it just past getting the files installed, the blue Windows install screen comes up, freezes, the computer boots itself again and goes straight to "system is missing or corrupt" again and this is the "system" I just installed fresh from the disk. :mad: :angry: This is probably the 3rd or fourth time I've had to completely wipe this compy within the last several months because of various problems, SP2 being one of them. Always wiping and starting over solved whatever problem was going on (using this same disk), what's going on, guys? Do I need to try a different Windows disk? Do I need to get another HD? If at all possible, I'd like to figure this out within the next 5 days or so, so that I can return the new MoBo if it comes down to getting a new PC altogether (though I really cannot afford it). Any help would be appreciated, this has me stumped and frustrated, to say the least. Would hate to put any more money into this since I just payed $90 for the M-board and even that was steep for me, but if I knew for sure it would solve this problem, I'd give it a go. :( Thanks fellas.

Sounds like you may need a new hdd. Somehow the files arent staying put. Thats enough formats to get you going and fix almost any problem. I suggest a harddrive. got a spare?

Heh, heh... unfortunately I don't have the money to keep spare hard drives lying around (I wish!), but hopefully I can find a replacement for little enough if you think that'd be the best way to start. What would you suggest paying for an 80GB internal HD, eh? Would Western Digital be the best way to go? I'm fairly sure the one I've got's a 5200RPM. :confused:

but hey its much better just to buy a new hd then purchasing a whole new computer.....

;) Thanks, Warez. If I do end up getting a new one though, I'll probably end up buying it from the store since I don't want to wait on shipping. :confused: And yes, it's better than purchasing a whole new computer. :) I spoke to a friend though who said to try a few more things before going out and spending $100 on a new HD (it's a Western Digital Caviar, BTW). Pulled it out and put it on slave on a separate PC and used a Diag proggie I downloaded from WD's site. Ran a full check on the HD for problems/errors and it came up with nothing. I still went ahead and set everything back to 0 and then reformatted it on that PC. So, extra clean HD, no errors, nothing wrong with it. I plugged it back into the other computer, booted to MS-DOS and flashed the new BIOS, everything looked good. Proceeded to install Windows XP Pro on the sparkling hard drive and this time there were errors installing shell32.dll and one other that flashed away before I could see it. In any case, it got through that and went to the second installation phase, made it halfway through and I got a BSOD saying it could not open Windows and rebooted. It restarted the installation after that and made it all the way through, but gave a 0xffffffff error, "DTC service not installed". Now, it gets through the Windows Pro screen with one pass of the little blue scroller (not at all normal) goes to a solid black screen with my mouse pointer on it, flashes another BSOD after about 30 seconds and boots again. :angry: What could have POSSIBLY happened to the hard drive between rebooting after installing the new MoBo to Windows with no problems and rebooting after installing the MoBo drivers??? :eek: Nothing that went on could have messed up the HD that bad and diagnostics say it's clean! I've gotta be missing something here! :mad: But what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom