2 1GB Dimms or 4 512MB Dimms???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Igetshockedalot

In Runtime
Hola Cyber-pimps,
Quick question here... Correct me if I'm wrong, but the choke point for processing speed with regards to RAM is the interface between the board and the DIMM correct? If that's the case, then would it not be faster to have 4 smaller Dimms in 2 parallel sets instead of 2 larger ones? Thanks in advance!!!

4 512 as it is cheaper and will have better timings and if you wanted to, would overclock better than the 1gb sticks.

If they had the same timings the 4 512 sticks would not be better, but they don't.

I might be wrong but I thought I remembered reading that some boards clocked the ram to 333 if all of the slots were full. I'm not sure that applies but its something you might want to look at, depending on the board it might just need a bios flash.

I would get the 2X1GB sticks. If you look hard enough you can still find 1gb sticks with cas 2 timing. My personal favorite set is the following.

OCZ 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Dual Channel Platinum System Memory
http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820227210

timing is 2-3-2-5 which is pretty damm good. It just as good as most 512mb sticks. There also a chance you could get it to run in 1T. If you running 4 sticks it most definally running in 2T. Also depending on your system it could downclock if you use 4 sticks. This is not true with all systems but it is true with a bunch.

upallnighter said:
I might be wrong but I thought I remembered reading that some boards clocked the ram to 333 if all of the slots were full. I'm not sure that applies but its something you might want to look at, depending on the board it might just need a bios flash. [/
B]

You correct in some cases. Lets take AMD skt 939 for example. If you using a cpu that NOT vience, sad deigo, torado, manchester it will downclock. If you using one of those 4 cores it will not downclock.

It depends on your CPU for what I would choose

And about upgrading with 4 sticks, your not really ever goign to need to get past 2 gigs in today's systems

All,
Thanks for the replies! So if I understand correctly, some modos slow the clock speed to 333Mhz if all 4 slots are occupied? Also, can someone explain the whole x-x-x-x timing thing to me? Thanks! You guys rock!

The timings don't really matter if you are not overclocking, and if you are, the 1gb sticks don't overclock well anyway. It basically is how long it takes to go for cas, ras to cas is the next one, than something else to do with RAS percentage, and than active to precharge. The lower the better. But as I said, it doesn't really matter unless you overclock.

For the downclocking, what CPU do you have?

If you have a older AMD 64 - pre Venice, than it will downclock the ram, if this happens just set the cpu and ram to a 1:1 ratio, or if it is CPU/** set that number to your multiplier's number.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom