ATI Radeon 9800SE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Humbucker

In Runtime
I've just done a couple of searches here and have realised the Radeon 9800SE cards are regarded as very poor. I didn't know this until now, I've had lots of problems with mine since getting this computer. I'm probably gonna replace it with a Nvidia 6600GT. So who else has had problems with the 9800SE? My problems have been my PC doesn't restart, when I take the card out and revert to onboard graphics everything is fine. Also, Cubase(music recording software) crashes at the same point everytime and after trying absoloutely everything else, the graphics card is all that could be causing the problem.

I'm looking forward to the 6600GT banishing all these problems, and it looks as though the 9800SE will be going in the trash can. I doubt anybody would buy it, and I wouldn't wanna sell something that didn't work right for me.

Heyyo,

Yes, removing all drivers will be important. You'll probably wanna remove any installed ati catalyst and control sutie stuff before you remove your current vidcard or switch from the onboard to your new vidcard.

I dunno, I'd keep the 9800SE man, ya never know when a VGA port might die on you and you could solder onna new one from the 9800SE. so yeah, keep it for spare parts at least. Not all of it is pure junk dude.

I had problems when i had 9800se, sometimes my monitor would just go to standbye, i removed the 9800se and ran on board graphics and it started fine. I had to completely re-install the 9800se every tiem this happened.

I have the same problem sometimes with my 6600gt...any ideas anyone?

SamBarry said:
I had problems when i had 9800se, sometimes my monitor would just go to standbye, i removed the 9800se and ran on board graphics and it started fine. I had to completely re-install the 9800se every tiem this happened.

I have the same problem sometimes with my 6600gt...any ideas anyone?

Yeah, the monitor standby thing has happened to me too - when I switch it back on it isn't 'receiving' the signal from the PC so I have to turn it off for a few mins then turn it on again. If you're having problems with the 6600GT too it may be a power supply problem. I now have a 450watt supply as I was told the pre-installed 300watt one was too low to power all the stuff I have. If it's not that it may be a driver problem. There's many more knowledgeable people here than me though, I'm sure they'll be able to help you out.

Humbucker said:
Yeah, the monitor standby thing has happened to me too - when I switch it back on it isn't 'receiving' the signal from the PC so I have to turn it off for a few mins then turn it on again. If you're having problems with the 6600GT too it may be a power supply problem. I now have a 450watt supply as I was told the pre-installed 300watt one was too low to power all the stuff I have. If it's not that it may be a driver problem. There's many more knowledgeable people here than me though, I'm sure they'll be able to help you out.

Ah rite, yeah makes sense! I'll look into upgrading my psu.

'Shit edition' indeed!

I have a 9800SE and it was the worst hardware i ever bought!:angry: It plays BF at a lower screen size and crashes my computer whenever I play Halo. this is the worst piece of hardware i have ever bought!

Im also never buying from ati again!

Dr Nick said:
I have a 9800SE and it was the worst hardware i ever bought!:angry: It plays BF at a lower screen size and crashes my computer whenever I play Halo. this is the worst piece of hardware i have ever bought!

Im also never buying from ati again!

Reflash it also some of the se's have a R360 and will do 9800xt speeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom