Help Building Comp

Status
Not open for further replies.

RacerX

Baseband Member
Hi,
Let me just say... I'm not as dumb as this post probably sounds ;) , I've just never built a computer before. Anyway, I have exactly $1,000 American to spend and I'm wanting to put together the best (fastest & most reliable) machine I can build that fits these parameters:

Basically, the only demanding thing my machine will be doing will be playing games and mapping. I don't know anything about overclocking, so I'll just be using everything stock.

1. Don't need soundcard, mouse, keyboard, monitor or speakers
2. The HD just has to be reliable, I don't care about speed, noise or size (40GB is plenty)
3. Single DVD read only drive is fine.
4. Want at least a Gb Ram
5. Want a Radeon 256mb x800 vid card
6. 6 usb ports would be nice
7. Case can be ugly and plain

I think that's it, any suggestions? Thanks for any help :bald:

Looks good, but if you aren't going to be going with a MATX case, then go with the NF4-Ultra chipset. Chaintech makes a cheap one.

Also, the x800XL is only 250 dollars at monarch. No rebates. This card performs way better than the x800Pro.

u dont want the radeon u want the 6600gt ive heard bad things about the card
but get it if u get the x800xt or the x850xt or just stay nvidea

Tboltness said:
You say you don't care about the case yet you get a $70 :rolleyes: :question:
Yeah, I know... but the reviews I read about the video card said It gets very hot, and the case was the cheapest I found (with good reviews) that came with a good power source and had two 120mm and one 80 mm fans.

Hacp said:
Also, the x800XL is only 250 dollars at monarch. No rebates. This card performs way better than the x800Pro.
How important is the manufacturer of the video card? Does Connect3D make a quality/reliable product?

ATI (Connect3D) Radeon X800 XL 256MB DDR/PCI-E/TV-Out/VGA/DVI (OEM)

Hacp said:
if you aren't going to be going with a MATX case, then go with the NF4-Ultra chipset.
Sorry, I don't understand what you're saying. :eek: Can you explain it for me please?

Thanks for the help!

Connect 3d makes the cards for ATI. The official ATI cards are made at the same factory as the Connect 3D ones, so quality should be the same as getting an ATI labeled x800XL. The x800XL is an awesome card by the way. Don't go just by why you hear. Its in that sweet spot between the 6600GT PCI-E and the 6800GT pci-e in terms of price.

Basically, get the chaintech Nforce4 Ultra motherboard. Or, the MSI neo-f is a good motherboard also. Also, your missing a power supply. Get the Epower/Tangan power supply 480 watts for 70 dollars after mail in rebates at Mwave. Its a quality power supply, with a 3 year waranty. Get a cheapo case btw.

Finally, PQI sells a 1gb stick of ram for 83 dollars. 83*2=166, cheaper than the 183 your paying for the value select.

Hacp said:
Connect 3d makes the cards for ATI. The official ATI cards are made at the same factory as the Connect 3D ones, so quality should be the same as getting an ATI labeled x800XL. The x800XL is an awesome card by the way. Don't go just by why you hear. Its in that sweet spot between the 6600GT PCI-E and the 6800GT pci-e in terms of price.
Thanks for that info, I'm one millimeter away from buying it :)

Hacp said:
your missing a power supply. Get the Epower/Tangan power supply 480 watts for 70 dollars after mail in rebates at Mwave. Its a quality power supply, with a 3 year waranty. Get a cheapo case btw.
I thought this case includes a power supply, no?

XION XION II XON-101 Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 450W Power Supply - Retail $70.99

That power supply is crap. Don't even bother with it. By the way, if you don't require a x800, then the 6800GT at monarch selling for 320 is also a good choice. Seems like more andmore games like pixel shader 3.0. 70 dollar difference, but its your choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom