CPU - Whats the difference between these processors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is emulated though? as that is what I read when they were first being discussed, as they are not a true 64bit chip. Just does 64bit tasks with more than one operation or something along those lines.

I am probally wrong, just wondered if what I read was right.

It should be called emtd EMT.

mgoldb2 said:
I believe you incorrect. I dont believe any of the 5x0 are 64 bit. They have a 5x1 series that are 64 bit. Also the 6xx series are 64 bit.

EDIT: just look it up J means it has the XD technology. It is a security enhancment.

Yep I believe you are right, if this is security J must do Data Execution Prevention.

Trifid said:
It is emulated though? as that is what I read when they were first being discussed, as they are not a true 64bit chip. Just does 64bit tasks with more than one operation or something along those lines.

I am probally wrong, just wondered if what I read was right.

It should be called emtd EMT.

idiotec said:
Extended memory technology. Although many people do think it stands for emulated for some reason...:amazed:

There you go. Not Emulated, Extended Memory TEchnology. It's a security thing apparently.

There you go. Not Emulated, Extended Memory TEchnology. It's a security thing apparently.
OK, there is confusion. The "J" referres to the built in security features on the chip, not EMT.

EMT does refer to 64-bit extention.

Well, I am not an expert in the subject, but I have read a lot about it. EMT is basically the exact same technology as A64 technology. I did read something else saying that neither is "true" 64-bit as compared to how it works in servers and shit, but TBH, I don't completely get that.

But bottom line, both the Intel and AMD 64-bit technology's in their desktop chips, are basically identical.

So your basically saying that it is emulated in a way? It's a fake 64 bit processor, fooling Windows into thinking it is a 64bit chip when running 64 bit appz? Kinda akin to simulated surround sound?

No, I don't think that. Why would both AMD and Intel put out chips that just "fake" 64-bit. There would be no reason for it and no performance increase from it.

I would say, the desktop versions are just different than their server counterparts. Isn't that the Policaly Correct thing to say now a days ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom