windows 2000 discontinue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, if they'd learned to read (and had obtained the software legally), they would have seen a little box on the back of the 2000 Pro box. It stated that if you were using your computer for business or network, get 2000. If you planned on home usage, or gaming, get 98SE.

I cannot help that people are ignorant.

Okay so maybe I didn't notice that. Maybe other people didn't notice that. Some people aren't going look at the back of the box like that and you even know that, so that wouldn't make the person ignorant.

Modern games run flawlessly on Win2k. Older Win9x games though hated to be run on 2000. I personally don't play those games, for I think gaming wasn't that great during that age.

There are two important events that will happen to the support policy for Windows 2000 after June 30th of this year.

First, support for both IE 5.01 SP3 and IE 6 SP1 on Windows 2000 SP3 will expire. Users running IE 5.01 or IE 6 SP1 on Windows 2000 should upgrade to Windows 2000 SP4 in order to continue to receive security updates.

Second, Windows 2000 SP4 moves from mainstream to extended support. The key difference between mainstream support and extended support which I think is most relevant to this audience is this quote from the lifecycle site: "Microsoft will not accept requests for warranty support, design changes, or new features during the Extended support phase." We will of course continue to keep our Windows 2000 SP4 customers secure with security updates through the life of Windows 2000 (through 2010). There are a few other differences between the two support models which you can read about at the lifecycle site. You may also want to read my previous post about WindowsÂ’ lifecycle.

It should be no surprise that we do not plan on releasing IE7 for Windows 2000. One reason is where we are in the Windows 2000 lifecycle. Another is that some of the security work in IE7 relies on operating system functionality in XPSP2 that is non-trivial to port back to Windows 2000.

Please note that these lifecycle changes are only for IE on Windows 2000. For questions about other versions of IE (IE for PocketPC, IE for Mac), please consult the lifecycle site for the latest expiration dates.

alright, ive had enough of this, as long as everybody understands that different operating systems work better for different people, I use windows 2000 because its stable for what I use it for and I dont play games, as long as now people understand that 2000 is a business type operating system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom