HP a405n Will Not Boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

goobernoodles

Solid State Member
Hey guys

My girlfriend just moved into a new apartment, and her computer mysteriously stopped working when she tried to boot up at her apartment.

The model is a HP Pavilion a405n.

Whenever plugged into a power source, the blue power button flashes. However, when I push it, it does not start up. No fans. No PSU or CPU fans run. I tried resetting the bios by resetting what I thought was the bios jumper, and then removing the CMOS battery for 15 minutes.

No go.

Note: This computer was working hours prior to bringing it to her apartment.

I just tried it at my place, and still the same exact thing.

Another weird thing: the LCD monitor she has goes ape*&$% when powered up. Flickers like MAD with lines and whatnot going all over the place, certainly NOT good.

The only thought I have is that something is weird at her apartment. Is it possible there is a strong magnetic field or something crazy like that? I ask this because I went over there with MiniDV tapes to show her on my camcorder, and the tapes were working before I got there, and then they became corrupted at her place. WEIRD. However, they healed... somehow.... after being at my place for a day. While messed up, there were about 6 thick grey lines going across the screen, like a thick comb ran over it.

Any thoughts?! :eek:

Buy a UPS (uninteruptable power supply) with voltage filtering so you get clean electricity. It cant hurt to have even if it doesnt solve your problem

Secondly, It sounds like the power supply took a dump.

Weird...

No go on the new power supply. I tried powering up and the CPU fan spun for a second, then stopped. Now nothing.

Damn... I'm baffled on this. I'll have to think more about the possibilities of the situation. I've never handled this kind of a problem.

My first dumb guess is, maybe when you moved it around. Something got knocked around or loose? I have no idea.

Well... nothing has worked to date.

I think the motherboard has somehow mysteriously died. Does anyone know what motherboard the a405n uses? Also - if I replace the motherboard, could I just get a different motherboard? (same chipset obviously) Will other motherboards line up correctly, or does HP screw around with that stuff?

I just checked, and the motherboard is a MSI MS-6577

Any suggestions on a motherboard to replace it? It is Micro-ATX.

obviously, you can replace it, but you have to check how big is the case and how big you can buy the motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom