Yes!! Computer not working, pleaaw help

Status
Not open for further replies.
you know, just a couple of weeks ago, i was trying to install linux on a machine, and i kept getting corrupt installs... even after re-downloading and re-burning. turned out to be a CD-ROM drive starting to go bad. Ive you've got another drive to swap, try that so you can rule it out or not.

i have never gotten the windows will shut dont to protect message, but i would agree with MojoInKansas. whenever i had a problem installing win2k or winxp on a machine it was either the cd drive would not read the disc or the OS did not like the way the memory was configured or it did not like the memory brand. sometimes i would have to move the memory around and try all sorts of wierd things

I would disagree about upgrading the OS at all.
Its a better idea to freshly install the OS on a newly formatted HDD. In the long run you sum out any problems that the previous OS may of had or may conflict with with both system files merged together. It also makes a mess of your registry.
It is more hassling as you need to backup all your important documents etc, but best overall.

If youre using a WinXP "upgrade" CD, you still can install it without having a preinstalled OS. The difference is that it will ask you for verification of your older OS so have your Win98 CD handy

that may be how he's doing it. in a prev post he said he "built the machine yesterday" so there COULDN'T be a whole helluva lot on the HD to begin with. this whole thing smells suspiciously of hardware to me.

I've seen ram speed make a difference, try running it a bit slower (bios setting)during the install. also I had 1 comp that would only install XP to an ata HD, installing to sata would bsd all day.

Turns out I was just having massive troubles with my RAID. But all is fine, but what a pain in an ass!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom