upgrading, errors, help me, i've been on this for days!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tedhiggins

Baseband Member
hi there,

recently upgraded my motherboard to asusa7v600, 2 hard drives, radeon 7200 graphics and other bits n bobs.

taken me a long time to get bios to recognise cd's and hard drives. finally all seems better. But there remains problems im not sure how to sort out:

floppy disk fail (40) - have heard this means loose cable or dody connection so will fiddle around and see if this helps. Could it be anything worse than this?

the two hard drives are in but arent showing in channel o or channel 1. Are they supposed to. Nothing is shown in these channels.

Raid doesnt recognise the hard drives. one is new 80GB one is old still with information from my last computer 30GB. Is this to do with ATA and UDMA. Dont really get it. They are normal UDMA IDE connected hard drives, should they be able to be raided?

the last problem at the moment is this "error - cant write ESCD". I've had a look around and this error seems to be a particularily bad one to have. During my days spent on this i dont think it always came up though the floppy one has remained a problem.

what do yer think the next moves are?

also if these are all sorted out do i install the motherboard drivers before operating system. Do i need the floppy win 2000 boot disks, do i need to format my hard drives before i install.

Please advise!!

first i would like to say you meant troubleshooting it for days not fixing it, otherwise it would be fixed by now :)
===================
=1) floppy disk fail (40) - have heard this means loose cable or dody connection so will fiddle around and see if this helps. Could it be anything worse than this?

you most likely have your connector placed onto the floppy in reverse. the red line on the cable should be facing the oppsite of where the red line facing on the hard disk or cd-rom.

otherwise you have set the wrong config in CMOS setup. make sure your floppy is connected on the end of the cable and in CMOS set to floppy A: enabled and floppy B: disabled assuming you have only 1 floppy drive. also you may try to enable "floppy 3rd mode" if all else fails. dont set 3rd mode unless nothing else works.
========================================
=2)the two hard drives are in but arent showing in channel o or channel 1. Are they supposed to. Nothing is shown in these channels.

channel IDE0 (zero) means this device is connected to primary controller as Master

channel IDE1 means this device is connected to primary controller as Slave, ect

since you have only connected you drives to RAID controller than NO you should not have anything showing there.
===========================================
=3) Raid doesnt recognise the hard drives. one is new 80GB one is old still with information from my last computer 30GB. Is this to do with ATA and UDMA. Dont really get it. They are normal UDMA IDE connected hard drives, should they be able to be raided?

first off you obviously know nothing about raid. you must use identical size hard disks. you must also set first boot device to "SCSI". since you cannot use RAID, you should put them back onto the IDE controllers at IDE0, IDE1, IDE2(secondary master), or IDE3(secondary slave)
==========================================
=4)also if these are all sorted out do i install the motherboard drivers before operating system. Do i need the floppy win 2000 boot disks, do i need to format my hard drives before i install.

no, it is not possible to even do it like that. operating system first and than mobo drivers second. you do not need win2000 diskette. just pop in the win2000 CD and boot up from it. you must decide how to creat partitions and format them.

thanks a lot for your post, appreciate it as this has been driving me barmy. Will try out the tips today. One last thing though - do you have any idea on the error ESCD issue i posted. Think this maybe the last hurrdle!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom