Is This Good Internet Connection?

Status
Not open for further replies.
DSL will never be as fast as cable internet! Plus, cable is bound to harness technology to surpass the reliability of DSL (depending upon how congested the cable network is in your area).

DSL is good for downloads. But I hear its much worse than cable for gaming. Not to mention the fact that the thing listed is only 1.7mbps. Thats good for dsl, but much slower than cable.

Actually, my DSL yields much lower latency than my old cable modem connection (despite being a lower speed overall).

Cable is capable of up to around 43Mbits/sec. downstream while standard ADSL maxes out at around 10Mbits/sec. I believe (Now VDSL is a different story).

With the improved traffic routing techniques implemented by many ISPs nowadays, a cable modem connection can be shared without too much performance loss.

I really have no other choice here, seeing as cable modem connections cost nearly twice that of DSL where I live.

Yea, it really depends on the area in which you live. In some areas of downtown Balitmore DSL works much faster and is more reliable than a cable connection.

-Mike

The service providers around my area make it even more interesting....

If you go with cable modem - One Provider - they wont let you run your box as a server and have blocked ports...

Dial up - used to be only one choice - has expanded finally -

DSL - One provider - they will let you run anyserver you want... well, they have oversold and maxed out the capacity of their network -- they put you on a waiting list ... going on 2months now... checked with them again... in 3or4 weeks they are going to install new hardware -

i got cable, i connect at about 4mbps, its only 29.99$ a month, and comes from my cable company, so i didnt have to pay a setup fee, DSL on the other hand is about 59.99$ a month and costs anywhere from $100-200 to setup, and most DSL around here maxes at 512k, neways, i love my cable and never have trouble with gaming on it, the only time i ever lag is when my wife trips over the cable and unplugs me, lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom