shut down times

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshd

Fully Optimized
why does my computer take 30-40 seconds to shut down? its really annoying, especially is im just doing a restart.

hm, maybe you have too many programs open? which windows has to shut down first...

or there are useless things in ur startup (start>run>msconfig>startup) which you dont use at all which waste time starting up and shutting down?

no, i close down all my programms, and my startup is empty. also i got rid of everything i didnt need from the startup tab in ms-config.

if i install some new software, and i need to restart, it annoying if i have to sit for 35 seconds, and thats just the shutdown! its crazy! what on earth can it actually be doing for all this time. if the proc can work out pi to 16k decimal places in less than 0.5 seconds, but cant even shut the pc down quickly... i dont get it.

It's probobally saving all of the information on you're PC. I can't believe you're so impatient with a Shut Down time.

My grandmother's pc takes like 30-40s to shut down too.

She has:
Duron 1.8GHz
256mb DDR266
14GB HD (slow rpm which is probably the problem)

She usually isn't running many pragrams, I just thin it is taking long to save settings because of the slow HD.

Ummm I had a problem with that too for a while. What I did was I went to C:\Windows\Prefetch and deleted all of the contents in that folder. The restart still took a while but when I shut it down after it had rebooted from me deleting it all it shut down at normal speeds.

It's quite normal for the process to take a while you know.

Parroting what everyone else has said: disable any apps that are loaded upon startup.

Check your pagefile/virtual memory settings too. Perhaps you have too much of an overflow into your HDD, which could be a reason why it takes so long for your OS to shut down?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom