Anyone fluent in MIDI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
does the connection through firewire require an expensive cable, as the usb ones cost about 50 pounds. can you get them through paralell ports and stuff?

The firewire route is probably more expensive then USB. Parallel ports? Not that I know of.

If you don't have a keyboard yet but are going to get one, consider getting one with a built in USB interface, which means you could just hook up a USB cable directly from the keyboard.

It came with drivers, but only for USB (since the one I have came out when Win98 was still around). If Acid is not what I'm looking for, what should I use? My keyboard is a little el-cheapo from circuit City... Yamaha I believe, but it works fine.

Acid will probably do it fine, and if you already have it, I guess you could keep using it. I'd say Reason 3.0 is a nice all-in-one package (sequencing, a decent sampler, a subtractive synth, drum machine, etc) but perhaps it's overkill for you.

You sure there's no panel or such in Acid that'll let you configure the computer's MIDI input? And you DO have the keyboard's MIDI out going to the computer via your Midman, right? You need the keyboard to send MIDI to the computer, not the other way around.

when plugging my midi plugs into my drums, do i plug the one labelled in into the out port, and vice versa. it may be that Him is getting it the wrong way aroung too.

Qiranworms said:
Acid will probably do it fine, and if you already have it, I guess you could keep using it. I'd say Reason 3.0 is a nice all-in-one package (sequencing, a decent sampler, a subtractive synth, drum machine, etc) but perhaps it's overkill for you.

You sure there's no panel or such in Acid that'll let you configure the computer's MIDI input? And you DO have the keyboard's MIDI out going to the computer via your Midman, right? You need the keyboard to send MIDI to the computer, not the other way around.

AFAIK, Acid has no Drum machines in it. I';ve used it pretty extensively, back in the day anyway, just never with MiDI. I'm pretty well versed in Acid, used to be, and it wouldnt take long to get the hold of it again. It was ridiculously easy to use. I dont think it has a sampler either. Maybe the new versions do, because they are a little higher than 3.0 now.

Yes, I did have the MIDI's plugged in right. They are color coordinated, and I'm not colorblinde nor a monkey, so I got those in right. :p

I havent had the chance to play with it again, but I will. Last time I played with it, I didnt know what I know now, so perhaps this time I will get it. :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom