windows 2000 discontinue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IBMan

Daemon Poster
Ok, I know there was this huge fight over this already but, I dont get it...I just bought this laptop with windows 2000, just did a fresh install, but..if tyler 1989 was saying there will be no more updates for it...how am i still receiving these updates... and dont get me freaking started on the .net crap

You're probably downloading updates released in previous years or something. I don't know much about Microsoft's discontinuation of 2000 so I couldn't say.

Because 2000 is in it's extended support phase you need to read the fine print. The junker OS can get updates from June 3rd and down till 2006 which is still not good enough you need the latest updates not ones that are a year old.

I suggest you go to microsofts 2000 homepage and read the fine print.

Lets not start a fanboy war here but if you want I'll gladly go for it.

Ahem no updates = uber suck

Heyyo,

Oh boy, now starts the flaming wars...

Now, windows 2000 was a pretty good OS, just get SP1 and you can play games pretty good. For networking? it beats out windows xp. You get much more control in windows 2000 than xp. For gamingwise? they say most games are windows xp optimized, so for the gamers xp, for business 2000. Now that windows 2003 server's picking up speed, looks like windows xp will replace 2000 even in the workplace.

agreed for the most part, but 2000 may not just be used for business, I'd recommend it for any networking environment, a uber stable environment, also if you're just doing word processing and a little music here and there, I'd say XP or 2000 would work perfectly fine, I won't run XP on this machine just because it won't run good enough for my standards so I'm going to stick with 2000, I'm very surprised they didn't ditch ME yet, because that OS is teh uber suck.

Why use the 2000 for networking. Just use that other OS Windows 2004 or something. It was built for networking. So the old should be flushed down the toilet.

PC Man Brian said:
Why use the 2000 for networking. Just use that other OS Windows 2004 or something. It was built for networking. So the old should be flushed down the toilet.
Windows 2004?? Gee, nobody told me they released that...

Seriously, 2000 is BUILT for networking. Why flush it when it works?

Sorry if you've had a bad experience with 2000, but most of us have not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom