unstable system after upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taz202

Baseband Member
I recently upgraded my computer from onboard video to a geforce 5500oc. My system started to act a little eratically after that. Things such as the moniter going squirrelly ( no picture, lots of lines of different colour, that sort of thing) This could be corrected by rebooting. I've been in touch with BFG tech support with no luck so far.The only thing they figure it is so far is a latency problem. Meanwhile I got a wireless keyboard mouse combo for a gift. This is when things started going south more. The problem is now that my system hangs quite frequently. I friend told me to update my bios, and I looked into that. I'm no computer whiz and I found this a little confusing. After reading in these forums I also started wondering if maybe it was a memory problem or something? If anyone has any thoughts on what it might be or how to fix it I'd like to hear it. I don't really want to spend a whole lot more to upgrade as I would like to get a new system some day.
Here are my specs

VIA VT8601T Appollo PLE 133T
Biostar M6VLQ
celeron 1.3 Ghz.
192mb SDRAM
NVIDIA Geforce FX 5500 OC
Win 98SE

Did you disable you onboard video in the BIOS? If you don't do that you will get conflicts with the new card.

Also how many watts is your power supply? Maybe it's not quite powerful enough. That can cause system hangs.

the lines and everything might be the overheating of the card. (mainly the vram.) check if nothing is blocking your cards cooler, and see if it has enough airflow in your case.

If you want to rule out memory, download memtest (download is in my sig) and run it overnight. If you have error's then you have bad memory

First off I tried to disable the onboard video in the bios without any luck. I went through every bit of it, even with the tech and could not find anything about disableing the onboard video. I have also been told that when you install the video card it would automatically disable onboard video?? As far as the psu goes origanally it was only 230w but I got ahold of one that is 300w. As for the card overheating, I installed it in the bottom slot and there is even an empty slot above it, also I have left the cover off so it should be getting lots of airflow I would think. I have also just downloaded memtest and will run it.
I really appreciate the replies from everyone.
Thank you

Yeah, plug and pray is supposed to do that for you, but its always good to make sure manually.
The monitor display issues and your new wireless keyboard makes me think it's probably more of a psu issue.

Heyyo,

Hmm, his psu is only 300w. And you said oc for your vidcard, how much did you oc it by?? I think you might've overdone it man, set it back to norm speeds. Usually if you oc it too much, you will see graphical errors. If you've left it oced too much for too long, you might've permanently damaged the memory on your vidcard man. Ocing means running thigs much faster than they should. So think of a freight train going above the reccomended speed, more likely to fly off the track right? now if you were going full speed, blazing fast, and tried to take a sharp corner? you've probably derailed. crash, bam, need to pay money to fix the problem. Let's hope you can fix this before the damage is done.

I seriously bet this is the problem. OCing does lead to a lot of system hangs. If ya want better preformance I say just spend your money getting the better equipment. Cause see, if you've damaged your vidcard, that's cash you'll never get back. And you probably can't RMA it since ocing voids out your warranty. I say ocing is only good if you have a really old beat-down computer and want to break it so mommy & daddy can buy you a new one. Worked once for me, lol. I'm soo jaded. :p

I think he meant that it is an OC'd out of the box video card...that's what I gathered from him. Correct me if I'm wrong. If so then those are the stock settings for the card.

Thanks again for the input and yes synergy you are correct, the card was oc'd out of the box. That all being said do you think the 300w psu is sufficient for my system. The only thing that's been added to it is the video card and the keyboard. The card is pci if that makes any difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom