CPU - Whats the difference between these processors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cameront

Beta member
550 Intel Pentium® 4 LGA 775 CPU (3.40 Ghz 800FSB) HT 1MB Cache *OEM* £129.34

550 Intel Pentium® 4 LGA 775 CPU (3.40 Ghz 800FSB) HT 1MB Cache *Retail* £159.34

550J Intel Pentium® 4 LGA 775 CPU (3.40 Ghz 800FSB) HT 1MB Cache *Retail* £163.34

I know the *OEM* will come in a plastic bag - so what I ask?

I know the 550J has some sort of anit virus - will this not slow the CPU - should I not leave the anti virus to my router/firewall/antivirus?

the OEM appears cheaper than a 630 and a 640 - am I missing some basic knowledge?

- also see thread 'Well? is it any good?'

Cameron

OEM means you just get the CPU, with the retail version you get a heatsink/fan with it. That is why the retail is more expensive.

You will also get the warranty with the retail one, you wont with an OEM one. I'm not sure what the J stands for, but it is something (obviously). Check the Intel website.

I believe J supports 64 bit EMT, which is a good idea for next year. You need 64 bit to run longhorn

Never buy an OEM processor for a personal build. Even if you're not going to use the stock HS&FAN. You need the 3 Year Warranty.
Throw the stock HS&FAN in the trash.

DJ-CHRIS said:
I believe J supports 64 bit EMT, which is a good idea for next year. You need 64 bit to run longhorn

I believe you incorrect. I dont believe any of the 5x0 are 64 bit. They have a 5x1 series that are 64 bit. Also the 6xx series are 64 bit.

EDIT: just look it up J means it has the XD technology. It is a security enhancment.

Well, it's a reasonable assumption. Honestly, if you didnt know what it meant for, dont you think it would stand for EMT?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom