noob question

Status
Not open for further replies.

nuke

Daemon Poster
ok , i had a question. I bought 5 HDD and I know that i have a space for them to put them in my computer, but the problem is that i have a problem with the cables. I don't know which one should i put as a slave and which one as a master. Can someone help me over here?

Well put the one with your OS on the first IDE channel and have it set as master and for the rest I honestly don't think it matters.

Are you running SATA or IDE? If you are on IDE, you can only have 4 drives, unless you have a third channel. You always need a master and a slave on each IDE channel. So you will have a Primary Master, and a Primary Slave. In the second channel you will have a Secondary Master and a Secondary Slave. SATA is a different story, I dont think there are even jumpers on SATA, but I could be wrong. I havent messed with it too much yet so I'm not quite on authority on it (yet). :D

thanx him. I have an IDE dirve, so i have return one of my hard drives anyway. thanx man.

You can always get a controller card, they are pretty cheap, and allow for two more IDE channels, or 4 drives.

oh yeah.. thanx, by the way do you know any place that they give that controller card for cheaper prices.

so if i put this in my computer, then i will be able to use more HDD.

Yeah. You could also use more CDROMS as well if you wanted, dont see why you would want to, but it is nice to know that the option is there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom