a n00b question (sorry)

Status
Not open for further replies.

j4ckaL

Daemon Poster
OK, I searched this but I didn't find anything (even though I'm sure this is common knowledge on these boards) so I'm just going to ask it:

Which will perform better, a 6800GT or two 6600GTs running in SLI.

ps. I know SLI means running two vid cards at once on a motherboard but could someone tell me what it acually stands for?

and I assume gaming is included in "most things"?

I'm just trying to figure out what gfx card set up will give me the best bang 4 my buck. I was thinking maybe I would get one 6600GT now and then one later when I have the money but if a 6800GT would out do dual 6600GTs then I guess the 6800GT would be a better choice for my budget gaming needs.

you should save up for the 6800GT and then if you have money for THAT down the road get a 2nd one of those....mind you it'd be a while before you absolutely needed it to be able to play games on high settings.

Also keep in mind the games have to be written to work in SLI....not every game is just automatically able to utilize both cards

Also keep in mind the games have to be written to work in SLI....not every game is just automatically able to utilize both cards

Ah, a breath of fresh air... and reason.

Good point, Nubius.

I never knew that not all games worked with SLI. Thats good to know.

Which card would be the better OCer? Is it possible to OC a 6600gt to 6800gt speeds?

6600GT run's above 6800GT speeds, but the 6800GT has stuff like wider memory path's and more pipelines

Which card would be the better OCer? Is it possible to OC a 6600gt to 6800gt speeds?
Depends on the brand not the card....the 6600GT isn't simply clocked faster....it's a completely different core....not only is the core better clock per clock on the 6800GT but it also has those additional pipelines, twice as many to be exact.

Just to make sure no one confuse. A old game will still work in a SLI setup BUT you will get no advantage from the secound video card. It will be like you only using one card.

I also doubt anyone would spend the money on SLI if they was playing older games like that. Most people buying SLI are the people wanting to play doom 3 and game like it on 1600X1200 8XA 16AF high quility. You will definally see a improvement in doom 3 and games like it if you playing on those settings.

SLI is only for the extreme gamers. If you not then SLI really a waste of money for you and better off with one card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom