Got new comp, problems....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, going to wait for a reply from jolancer. Oh, by the way jolancer.. I think it's 20-pin PSU... not totally sure though. I will try what regnak said, and if nothing works, then I guess i'll RMA the motherboard.

Keep the suggestions coming.

if your not getting video and theres bios beep codes it probally your memory or video card. but if your not getting any beep codes it may be your motherboard.

I tried taking out video card, and using onboard video. I would assume that if I took out my video card, my PSU would be big enough(420w) to support onboard video.
Still doesen't work when I do that.
I'm going to try and boot with NO memory and see if it gives me the bios boot for bad memory.

since your motherboard is PCI-E it will have a 24pin ATX slot... so if you PSU covers all those pins, it must be a 24pin psu. I havnt used a PCI-E board, but if its only a 20 pin PSU, and your not using a 20 to 24pin adapter. Id imagine that may cause some problems.

if your positive that the motherboard isnt getting shorted to the case, then you can leave it in.. but when i furst build a new comp, i assemble it outside of the case, ontop of the antistatic bad, with a thin styrofoam sheet underneath(anything soft realy so the pins underneath dont get forced against the bench when assembling).

Disconnect everything from the mobo, so you only have the PSU connected. Also make shur you CPU Fan is connected to the CPU Fan1 connector on the mobo. Clear the Cmos again. unplug PC from wall and switch the Cmos jumper, leav it there for like 10mins, come back and switch it back.

start it up and see if it beeps. if not then you know its the Mobo, or CPU.. iv never started a comp without a CPU, so i dont know if it beeps without it in.

If it beeps add one thing at a time and start it up each time. Then add ram and the monitor to onboard video. then EIDE drives.

Can't believe i'm that much of an idiot. My psu IS 20 pin, and my motherboard is 24.
So now, I have to buy a new PSU or what?

hold on...

Iv heard that you dont need a 24pin PSU, if your psu is powerfull enough to begin with, and that you use the PCI-E Power Adapter that connects directly to you 6800gt card...

Did you use the PCI-E Power cable that came with your 6800gt??

its an adapter so you can convert a standard 4pin molex to PCI-E power.

EDIT: im totaly positive if thats a sure proof workaround, because remember iv never used PCI-E.

EDIT: the PCI-E adapter may acutally use up 2 4pin molex connectors. im not shur. Thats why u need a powerfull enough PSU.

outa curiosity what is the amp's on your 12v rail? it looks like this on the lable for example - v12@18a or 24a etc etc.

I would not think that it is the power supply, if he can't even run integrated graphics. I doubt that its the video card, since you can't run integrated or regular. Its either the RAM or CPU. Replace one of them and see what happens.

Edit- Were you grounded when you assembled the parts? I know you said you were but were you on a matress or anything that can cause static? Also, you don't need a 20 pin power supply with a 24 pin motherboard.

I did use the molex PCI-E connector.. its a 6pin.
But besides the point... I think you guys are mistaken, my power supply I have currently is 20pin, and my motherboard is 24pin. So when I plug my PSU into my mobo, it's got an extra 4 pins. Will that converter work with my Socket 939? That would be really helpful, then I wouldn't have to buy a new PSU or Mobo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom